Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My preview in Mail is not displaying anything

The only thing displayed is the header in the preview pane. The entire body of the preview and all attachments are not visible. Anybody else seen this and more importantly fixed it?

iMac (27-inch Late 2009), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jun 13, 2013 8:23 PM

28 replies

Feb 13, 2017 5:14 AM in response to iNiral

The same issue happened in Outlook. After uninstalling and reinstalling office, the issue was still there. I set up a new machine with a clean install of everything, used migration assistant and the issue was still there. Created a new user and just copied documents from previous user, everything works fine.

I have no idea why the issue went away, just happy it did.

Apr 17, 2017 3:33 AM in response to sberman

I think you'll find that iNiral is referring to the large preview window in mail not the section that allows you to sort by date etc. Changing the settings in the "list preview" row doesn't change anything in the large preview window. This is now happening in Sierra 10.12.4 and producing a blank window with header information. I had this problem with a few emails but after the upgrade to Sierra 10.12.4 it's now affecting every email. Looks like another bug from Apple.

Jul 8, 2013 1:32 PM in response to sberman

This just started happening to me today. I am using classic layout. I have my preview pane below list of messages, and my mailboxes on the left. I'm happily clicking on messages, reading emails in my preview pane, all is well, and suddenly my preview pane stops displaying content. The headers are still there, and the headers change as I switch messages, but the content won't display unless I double-click and open the message in another window.

Restarting the mail app fixes this. And then it starts again an hour or 40 messages or so later. And then restarting the mail app again fixes it again. And over and over. It would be great if I could get this to just stop happening all together.

Jul 29, 2013 5:30 AM in response to iNiral

I have been having this problem for a few weeks now. Restarting and cleaning the computer has not helped. Restarting Mail program fixes the problem for a while and then it starts over again. I have suspected a certain sender's messages (with a password protected PDF attachment) for screwing it up but obviously others are having the same issue. Help?

Aug 6, 2013 6:39 AM in response to iNiral

Yup having this problem too for awhile now and thought it was just me...I just tried quitting and restarting the program and that seemed to do the trick, as others have mentioned...but that's going to get annoying real fast!

I haven't found that it's related to getting password protected attachments...for me it seems to be random and there's no rhyme or reason as to when the message will display and when it wont. Hopefully Apple will take note and offer some sort of update soon!

My preview in Mail is not displaying anything

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.