Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio Advice — JackOSX

I downloaded a version of the program Screenflick, and after uninstalling the program, my computer still has "Screenflick Audio Device" listed under both inputs and outputs in System Preferences/Audio. I am also running a program called JackOSX that I can't seem to uninstall, and I think these two are beginning to fight each other.

A number of weird buggy things are happening to my system's audio. The function keys F10-12 will no longer control the volume, though they will display the pop-up volume meter. Second, JackOSX installs a second volume controller in the menu bar which also has no effect on the volume level. The only way to change the system volume is directly in System Preferences.

So, I went exploring in the bowels of the OS to try to find the JackOSX files and the Screenflick files in order to delete them and restore my computer to the default settings. (I searched the Internet beforehand on advice and turned up nothing.) This folder, ~/Library/Audio/Plugins/Components, has the following file in it: "JACK-insert.component". I moved that file to the desktop, as well as one other that I found in ~/Library/Audio/Plugins/VST, "JACK-insert.vst", seeing if that would do the trick. Instead, the system volume control bar in the menu bar is greyed out and won't respond, and the JackOSX bar continues to do nothing. I moved the files back to their spots, and rebooted. Nothing different. System Preferences' audio controls also won't work. Neither my system speakers will work, nor will headphones when I try to play music through iTunes.

What's going on? If there aren't any ways to fix what I've done, is there a way to re-install the OS without losing all of my files? Will re-installing get rid of those pesky programs? Should I just make copies of all the important files, and wipe my hard drive and start over?

Cheers,

Connerdy — 

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8), White Mid-2009

Posted on Jun 13, 2013 10:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2013 10:23 PM

If someone who doesn't have either pesky program could tell me what they have in those aforementioned folders, that would be a good start.

3 replies

Audio Advice — JackOSX

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.