Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Swapping Xraid

Hi

I have an old Xserve PPC with Mac os server 10.5.8 (Master Ldap) and an Xraid connected to it. Now i have received an Xserve 2x3 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon with Mac os 10.7.5, I wanted to know if the xraid is hotswappable. I have already created a new ldap on the new server.

Can i just remove the cable and plug it in the new xserve and get it working as it was ?

Thanks helping me.

Abhi

Xserve

Posted on Jun 13, 2013 9:34 PM

2 replies

Jun 13, 2013 10:22 PM in response to abhiconhye

Can i just remove the cable and plug it in the new xserve and get it working as it was ?

That;s a highly subjective question... 🙂

One one level, yes, you can disconnect the XServe RAID from the PPC server, connect it to a fiber channel card in the Intel server and the disks will (should) mount.

ALl your data will be accessible.

Whether that constitutes '... working as it was' is a whole different issue. That depends on what data was on the drive and how you were utilizing it.

For example, if the PPC server was sharing the XServe RAID volumes (e.g. via AFP, NFS, SMB, etc.) then it won't automatically be re-shared when you connect to the Intel server - you'll need to configure the file sharing service on the Intel server to identify and publish the sharepoints.

Likewise, if the user's home directories are on the RAID, they won't automatically come available on the Intel server - you'll need to configure file sharing and (potentially) Open Directory to setup the network home directories.

Similarly for any other service - just having the disk/data attached in no way configures the corresponding service to use it - if your MySQL databases are on the RAID, attaching the RAID isn't going to make any difference to MySQL running on the Intel Server.

Now, the above may be obvious and expected, but the specific way you asked your question means I needed to be clear.

Jun 15, 2013 5:21 AM in response to Camelot

Hi

Thanks for helping me, In the new server, i have already confiugre a new master ldap and will control the new xraid datas, but now when i have connect the fibre channel cable to the new one, i have the message telling me link established (unsuported data) see capture screen.

Has someone any ideas what is this message. i am able to access the raid but this message is display when you click fiber channel in system preference.

User uploaded file

HELP .....

Abhi

Swapping Xraid

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.