Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

rMBP 15" Sudden drop in battery life

I have had the machine for about 6 months but over the last week I suddenly get less than 2 hours from a full charged battery. Any ideas anyone?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jun 14, 2013 12:33 AM

6 replies

Jun 16, 2013 11:36 AM in response to Swiggen

Hi Swiggen,

I'm sorry you are having issues with your Macbook Pro's battery.

I would suggest resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

Power

The computer doesn't respond to the power button when pressed.

A portable Mac doesn't appear to respond properly when you close or open the lid.

The computer sleeps or shuts down unexpectedly.

The battery does not appear to be charging properly.

The MagSafe power adaptor LED doesn't appear to indicate the correct activity.

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
    Note
    : The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

Another troubleshooting step would be to reset the PRAM as well:About NVRAM and PRAM

Resetting NVRAM / PRAM

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  6. Release the keys.

You can read more details by clicking on the two links above, but these would be two good troubleshooting steps to try.

Below are some general tips for maximizing battery life:

Mac notebooks: Tips for maximizing your battery charge

I hope this information helps ....

Have a great day!

- Judy

Jun 17, 2013 10:47 PM in response to Swiggen

Running any VM (and I, too, use Parallels Desktop to run Windows 7) is going to put a huge drain on your battery. The "7 hours" quoted by Apple is based on a 'perfect' scenario (only running wifi, surfing the Internet and avoiding videos, with perhaps an email client open and precious little else).

If you're able, just test your machine on battery without running Parallels and see if your battery time increases.

Clinton

rMBP 15" Sudden drop in battery life

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.