Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i want to email photos as an jpg attachment, when i email photo from my iphone it always show as embedded

i use to use blackberry and recently i switched to iphone, i use my iphone a lot to email pictures, the pictures always appear to be embedded to attached

i want them to be send as a jpg attachment

how can i do that ?

iPhone 4S

Posted on Jun 14, 2013 5:57 AM

28 replies

May 9, 2017 12:52 PM in response to engachraf

I had this issue too. Long story short, whether it's embedded or "inline" my pictures suddenly stopped sending pics as an attachment and were then embedded in the message.

Not sure why, but to echo others posts the steps I took which fixed the problem were:

1) sent my device an email that contained a signature composed in another email client that included some element of html - i.e. a color font, a picture etc. - in my case both.

2) while on the device, copied and pasted the signature from the email into the signature setting under the settings > mail > signatures to the appropriate account - I have other accounts, with different signatures that are plain text.

3) Tested by sharing pictures, via the Apple photos app, with the Apple mail account and it worked!

FYI iphone 6S running version 10.3.1 (14E304)

Aug 22, 2017 5:45 PM in response to ciccjm

When an attached PDF file shows as inline or viewed in place with the Mail.app on a Mac, is it a single page PDF file, a multiple page PDF file, or both?

In my experience, only a single page PDF file is shown as inline or viewed in place within the body of the message with the Mail.app, not with multiple page PDF files. I can left click on a single page PDF file shown as inline or viewed in place and select show as icon from the menu before the email is sent.

Regardless how a single page PDF is shown before being sent, the file should be received as an attached PDF file on a Windows machine and the same with the Mail.app on a Mac. It will be shown as inline or viewed in place by default when the email is received with the Mail.app on a Mac.

Jun 14, 2013 9:28 AM in response to engachraf

The iPhone's Mail app shows all photo attachments inline or viewed in place within the body of the message, which is not the same as embedded. This applies to photos sent and received. Inline or viewed in place photo attachments are sent as true attachments with the email. How photo attachments appear by the recipient depends on the recipient's email client which the sender has no control over. This cannot be changed.

Aug 26, 2013 2:43 PM in response to engachraf

I don't understand these answers. I send photo attachments via my iphone, they are recieved by an iphone and in their reply to me, the attachment is gone, just the name of the attachement remains inside the email. Is that a setting on the receiver's setting? not to reply with attachments? In addition, call it what you want, but it seems to me when I send a picture from my camera roll, it sets the pic inside the email instead of attaching a jpg to the receiver's email. It is true that often this jpg is found inside the email at the bottom, but often not on the attachment field of Outlook, for example

Sep 12, 2013 6:15 AM in response to engachraf

I have an iphone 4s, and use gmail as my mail server. I had this same problem (could not "attach" a pic). What I discovered is that after I sent an email from my phone (with the picture embedded), then I would login to my gmail account from a computer, and go to the Sent folder and view the email I just sent - and voila - the pic is in jpeg format, ready to View/Share/Download.

Sep 12, 2013 6:54 AM in response to dmv1988

Once again - the photos are not embedded.

The iPhone's Mail app shows all photo attachments inline or viewed in place within the body of the message, which is not the same as embedded. This applies to photos sent and received. Inline or viewed in place photo attachments are sent as true attachments with the email. How photo attachments appear by the recipient depends on the recipient's email client which the sender has no control over. This cannot be changed.

Sep 12, 2013 7:30 AM in response to Allan Sampson

Thanks for correcting me. I was just offering a solution that worked for me on how to get a photo off of an iphone in jpeg format. I'm just a dumb end user and not concerned at all with semantics (embedded vs inline vs viewed in place). I've seen your post many times about "how photo attachments appear by the recepient depends on the email client", but that's not really helpful when folks want to know HOW to find it as an attachment/jpeg. So my append tells them how to do that if they have a gmail account.

Dec 6, 2013 12:19 PM in response to Allan Sampson

@Allan Sampson: I am having the same problem. I take a photo, send from the iphone photo app and the recepient gets my pic embedded... NOT as an attachment. Since you say "How photo attachments appear by the recipient depends on the recipient's email client which the sender has no control over. This cannot be changed." I decided to test this out. I sent a photo using my friends iPhone 5 to the SAME email as I sent to from my iPhone. The photo from my iPhone was received embedded NOT as attachment and the photo sent from my friends phone was received as an attachment. We are both running iOS 7 and both went to the same Outlook email account. Frustrating!

Mar 24, 2014 12:13 PM in response to Allan Sampson

We have found that if your message contains HTML (either as a result or forwarding/replying, or more commonly, as a result of your email signature being copy/pasted from an HTML source), pictures will appear as embedded to outlook recipients. In our case, we were encouraging users to copy/paste their email siguature from outlook into the iDevice. When they did this, they could no longer sent pictures as attachments that shows up as attachments to the receiver using Outlook.

Apr 10, 2014 1:08 PM in response to engachraf

This is very, very frustrating to me. Most of the business world uses Word products and as a result, outlook. I need to send jpgs and documents as an attachment so our corporate folks can click on them, print them, save them, whatever. The question posed is quite simple; how, using an iOS platform can our docs and jpgs be sent and viewed as an ATTACHMENT? Please, no semantics and word games regarding terms used in error, just supply a answer, is this possible to do? Send docs and jpegs as attachment using the mail function on an iOS platform??

Apr 21, 2014 12:11 PM in response to engachraf

I agree with cardinal4, the iphone sends the message differently. Level 10 wants to make it someone elses problem, but Apple seems to be the problem. Call it in-line, viewed in place, or embedded, it's still a pain to move an picture from your e-mail to your hard drive. In my case, I'm using Lotus Notes. There seems to be no easy way to export the picture out of the e-mail... I don't remember having this problem with the blackberry. Please give a plain answer!!!

i want to email photos as an jpg attachment, when i email photo from my iphone it always show as embedded

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.