Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backlit keyboard/screen brightness/volume not working

Hello all,

I have recently been uploading files on google drive, and I wanted to do it while I slept so I turned off the screen brightness and backlit keyboard all the way down. The problem though is that they are not responding now that I want to turn them back on. I cant turn the screen back on and none of the f# keys are working. What should I do to fix this?

I do know that the caps lock green button is working, and I can hear windows start up sound, as well as see when I am logging into bootcamp. I know my screen isnt broken.

Thank you,

JGeorgiadis

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012)

Posted on Jun 14, 2013 7:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2013 7:16 AM

Reset the NVRAM by holding Command + Option + P + R on startup, continue holding until you hear the chime for the second time, then release. This should reset your display preferences and from there you may be able to troubleshoot further why your function keys are not repsonding.

8 replies

Backlit keyboard/screen brightness/volume not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.