Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to jailbreak my ipad 4 but I m doubtfull that it may harm my device. Please suggest me.

I want to jailbreak my ipad 4 but I m doubtfull that it may harm my device. Please suggest me.

iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Jun 14, 2013 10:16 AM

12 replies

Jul 11, 2017 5:46 AM in response to NicktheGuy

NicktheGuy wrote:

There is, go to this link or go settings, general, about, legal, license.

link:Legal - Software License Agreements - Apple

Hopefully I've made my point clear.

And have you read the U.S. Copyright laws that explicitly make jailbreaking a legal act in the USA? Those same laws certainly allow Apple to deploy means to stop people from being able to do it to the extent that they can. But if someone does it to their own device, in the USA at least, it is not an illegal act. And those copyright exemptions were extended a couple of years ago to include tablets and other mobile devices.

Again, it is not at all recommended. But in the USA and several other countries, there is nothing illegal about jail breaking an iOS device. The EULA has nothing at all to do with that (and Apple’s does not include any language that specifically precludes jailbreaking) - it does not circumvent, create or change the actual laws that apply.

See https://www.copyright.gov/reports/studies/dmca/dmca_executive.html and also look up amendments made in 2010, 2012 and 2015.

Jul 10, 2017 12:53 PM in response to NicktheGuy

NicktheGuy wrote:

Your device may be harmed, go to a black market App Store or crash. Do not do it. In the buying agreement, you agree not to install any illegal software so doing so is breaking that agreement.

Actually, you do not agree to any such thing, and no such condition exists on the sale of an Apple or any other consumer electronic product. The owner of the device is free to install anything they want.

Apple will not support a jailbroken device, as is their right to do so, and yes, it is strongly discouraged for all sorts of reasons. But there is nothing remotely "illegal" about it and device owners can do so if they wish.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.