Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What do I need to watch out for when installing Mountain Lion from scratch?

I feel like it's a good moment to erase everything from my computer and reinstall Mountain Lion. I'd like to know which things I should watch out for.

Most of my important stuff is located on an external hard drive. Some of the applications are located there as well, the other ones I can simply re-downloading, I don't mind this.

I have my whole iTunes library and my iPhoto library which obviously I'd like to keep. I'm also concerned about my text messages on my iPhone -- they're very important to me. And so are also my Notes, Reminders, and Contacts.

The thing is, I do not want to do a fresh install and then reload a backup. What would be the sense of making this? None I guess... I'm doing a fresh install becuase I believe there's lots of useless files and maybe even dangerous files on my Mac that I'd like to get rid of. I guess that if I would load the backup, they would all be here again...

Is it maybe possible to load only certain things from Time Machine, for example my iPhoto or iTunes library?

Maybe someone can help me here, totally new with this... 🙂

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Jun 14, 2013 3:22 PM

11 replies

Jun 14, 2013 3:28 PM in response to Anon M

Why are you doing this? If you are having problems, then reinstalling and restoring everything else from backups may just return the problems you thought your were fixing.

If you want to install from scratch properly, then you also need to reinstall all your third-party software from scratch. And, if you are having problems with third-party software, then don't reinstall it until you determine how to resolve those problems.

This would be my recommendation.

Jun 15, 2013 1:22 AM in response to Kappy

Basically you just repeated what I said. 😁

The thing is, I do not want to do a fresh install and then reload a backup. What would be the sense of making this? None I guess... I'm doing a fresh install becuase I believe there's lots of useless files and maybe even dangerous files on my Mac that I'd like to get rid of. I guess that if I would load the backup, they would all be here again...

Jun 15, 2013 1:37 AM in response to Anon M

I know that I have hundreds of very, very old auxiliary files, left behind by apps not properly uninstalled, on my boot drive. Occasionally I'll try to clean them out. I've never tried a fresh installation of everything simply because I have so much stuff, some of it dependant on various applications.

However, I can see no problems with what you want to do - just make certain that your user files are copied to your external hard drive so as not to 'lose' them... and begin anew.

Clinton

Jun 15, 2013 1:45 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

Alright, I'll take note of the User files 🙂 The reminders, text messages, iTunes & iPhoto library are all located in there, right?

If I copy the user files, is there some risk that I copy some files that were left behind like you say, or all these only in the Library folder?

And I know what you mean, I tried cleaning my computer too with various applications and also "by hand", but since I have a place where I can copy all my stuff now, I thought it might be good to do it now before it's too late! 🙂

Jun 23, 2013 8:03 AM in response to Anon M

Alright, I'm slowly getting ready to do this. Apparently I do not need an install DVD but I can just press CMD+R to get to the option to do a fresh install, that's why my Mac didn't come with an install DVD (that's what I've read and what I've been told at least).

Now I'm wondering... do I need to copy those items from the User folder at all? I mean, I have a complete backup on an external hard drive. I could just go there in the folders and select what I would like to copy to my Mac again, suchs as my music library or photo library. Is there any risks? I'm worried about even the smallest things, like creation dates changing and stuff like this. They mean something to me 🙂

What do I need to watch out for when installing Mountain Lion from scratch?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.