Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imported photos not showing in iphoto

hi, i am trying to use iphoto for all my photos (13000). all of them currently reside on a NAS Drive, i have formatted an external HD to Mac OS (Journaled) i followed instructions to move my current library file to my external drive and open that file from iphoto, i have and did what i thought was a successful import. I had shutdown the computer and went to bed, when i opened iphoto this morning it didn't show any of the imported photos it had the night before. i never disconnected the drive when i closed the computer. what gives?

I do have iphoto set to copy all the photos to its library, i have recently seen this to be bad in some sorts.

What can i do to get the photos back so i don't have to import them again?

The version of iphoto is 9.4.3 and is on a MacBook Pro.

Also when the import completed last night, i tried to find faces but it wasn't available, it actually said i didn't have any faces available even tho i have added faces before.

Posted on Jun 14, 2013 6:28 PM

4 replies

Jun 14, 2013 6:46 PM in response to JeremyR3784

we need details

i followed instructions to move my current library file to my external drive

We have no idea what instructions you followed, if they were correct or exactly what you did

the correct method is to drag the iPhoto library intace as a single entity to the external drive, depress the option key and launch iPhoto - select the new library location

What exactly did you do?

i have and did what i thought was a successful import.

Again what did you do? And why did you think it was successful?

when i opened iphoto this morning it didn't show any of the imported photos it had the night before.

Again details - what does last import show? what exactly do you see in iPhoto?

I do have iphoto set to copy all the photos to its library, i have recently seen this to be bad in some sorts.

What do you mean? There is nothing bad with copying photos to the iPhoto library - in fact it is extremely strongly recommended

LN

Jun 14, 2013 7:00 PM in response to LarryHN

We have no idea what instructions you followed, if they were correct or exactly what you did

the correct method is to drag the iPhoto library intace as a single entity to the external drive, depress the option key and launch iPhoto - select the new library location

What exactly did you do?

I did drag it to the newly formatted external drive and then held down option and selected the new iphoto library file.

i have and did what i thought was a successful import.

Again what did you do? And why did you think it was successful?

when i opened iphoto this morning it didn't show any of the imported photos it had the night before.

Again details - what does last import show? what exactly do you see in iPhoto?

What do you mean? There is nothing bad with copying photos to the iPhoto library - in fact it is extremely strongly recommended

LN

What I did was, I dragged the iphoto library file from the internal HD to the external HD, i then held down option key and launched iphot and then selected the iphoto library from the external drive. I then went to import the photos on my NAS drive and let it go to work. I thought it was successful when it was done because i could see all the albums under events, now that i think about it, when i would open the event albums no photos would show up. When i went to photos it would show me all my photos. when i went to faces i would get the Getting started screen and it wouldn't let me click on find faces. Right before i closed iphot and turned off the computer it had said i had 177 events, 12,789 photos, no faces, no places. Before i had done this these photos were never managed by iphoto, i put them into folders and backed them up from a PC. I had 1100 photos before this in iphoto as well with tagged faces.The next morning when i had opened iphoto it had been like nothing was imported. When i look at my iphot file on the external drive it says it is 64.00 GB.

Jun 14, 2013 7:14 PM in response to JeremyR3784

Are you running a Managed or Referenced library?

User uploaded file

If it's managed and you're not seeing the photos in the moved library apply the two fixes below in order as needed:

Fix #1

Launch iPhoto with the Command+Option keys held down and rebuild the library.

User uploaded file

Since only one option can be run at a time start with

Option #3, followed by #4 and then #1 as needed.

Fix #2

Using iPhoto Library Manager to Rebuild Your iPhoto Library

1 - download iPhoto Library Manager and launch.

2 - click on the Add Library button, navigate to your Home/Pictures folder and select your iPhoto Library folder.

3 - Now that the library is listed in the left hand pane of iPLM, click on your library and go to the File ➙ Rebuild Library menu option.

4 - In the next window name the new library and select the location you want it to be placed.

5 - Click on the Create button.

Note: This creates a new library based on the LIbraryData.xml file in the library and will recover Events, Albums, keywords, titles and comments. However, books, calendars, cards and slideshows will be lost. The original library will be left untouched for further attempts at fixing the problem or in case the rebuilt library is not satisfactory.

OT

imported photos not showing in iphoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.