Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I unplug iPhone during back up? It's taking very long time

I started my iPhone sync about 18 hours ago. It is still on step 2 (backing up). The progress bar doesn't really show progress. It just has those scrolling lines. There is no indication of anything as far as progress, tasks being performed, hangups, nothin. What would happen if I unplugged right now? It has been at least a month since I synced. I have downloaded, updated, & deleted several applications n that time. The last time I synced, I thought it wasn't working, so I unplugged to try again, & my iPhone became a shiny paper weight. I had to completely start over from the last back up. I should sync more often, but this is where I am now. It does have the latest version of iOS & still has more than 14 GB of free space. My Apple was connected to Internet when I started, but it was taking too long so I had to leave my internet source to come home with my iPhone still attached & "syncing". It is not a mobile data device if it has an umbilical cord to my MBP & I'm gonna feel silly carrying around my MBP everywhere so I can use my iPhone.

I have read some stuff about deleting all applications & starting over & stuff like that, but they seem to be over kill. I just want to find the exact problem & fix it rather than scrubbing & starting over. Those ideas also do not address what I can do now that I am mid-backup.

ThankU

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1.1, 64GB

Posted on Jun 14, 2013 9:05 PM

4 replies

Jun 15, 2013 6:55 AM in response to DarrellSY

My IPhone has now been "backing up" for about 29 hours. About 10 hours ago iTunes quit showing any indication that my iPhone is plugged in; it went back to my podcast list. Neither does the Finder or desktop show any indication that my iPhone is plugged into the Apple. However, the little circular spinning update arrows are still spinning on my iPhone.

Jun 26, 2013 3:13 AM in response to DarrellSY

The problem that I had that was causing my iPhone 4s to not sync properly was actually caused by a cord that I purchased from Walmart that was made by Onn (I think) for distribution in Walmart. I realized that since I purchased that cord, I had been having problems to include one that caused me to be forced to do a complete wipe & reload of my iPhone. I fetched my original Apple cord that came with the iPhone & used it to sync. It worked amazingly fast, while I had become accustomed to syncs taking at least 30 minutes or more. I took the cord back for a replacement. The new one is working properly so far. It's a convenient cord because it is 4 feet long & thicker than the Apple cord for $10, but that isn't good enough if it doesn't sync properly.

Can I unplug iPhone during back up? It's taking very long time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.