Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade Price and Grace Period?

Hi,

I'm currently running Lion 10.7.4 on my Macbook Pro 15" (late 2011) and i was wanting to upgrade to Mountain Lion via the App Store to version 10.8.4 (the previous versions seem to have had more bugs, yet this one has nicer reviews).

I was wondering though, now that Mavericks has been announced, if i chose to upgrade to ML now, would i get a free upgrade to Mavericks too?

I just really don't know what to do. I want to get ML, but i don't want to have to pay for 2 operating systems, i'd rather just do a straight upgrade from Lion to Mavericks. I do NEED to upgrade because the software i use every day (Pro Tools) has just been upgraded and requires ML to run on.

I'm also worried that once Mavericks is released, ML will disappear on the App Store. If this is the case, and for whatever reason my Macbook cannot run Mavericks, then i am stuck.

What to do? Any help is appreciated - thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4), 2.2GHz i7, 8GB RAM, 240GB SSD

Posted on Jun 15, 2013 3:19 AM

5 replies

Jun 15, 2013 3:56 AM in response to mr meister

We're just users here so have no idea what Apple will do, but I'd be very surprised if Apple offered a free upgrade from MLion to Mavericks when it is released in a few months time.

What they have done in the past is offered a free upgrade to people who have purchased a new computer within a month or so of the new OS being released. They often do this by way of a redemption code.

Apple haven't said what they will charge for Mavericks, but the last two releases have only been around US $20 each, so it's not much of a price to pay if they follow the same model.

Jun 15, 2013 4:21 AM in response to mr meister

As Paul has mentioned, we can't know what Apple will do. Be aware, though, that Apple has never made a newly-released system available for free to someone just for having bought the previous system. Their free upgrade programs have always been for people who have recently (as in, within about a month prior to release) purchased new hardware.

Jun 15, 2013 6:07 AM in response to mr meister

Ok thanks for the help.

Here's a question - my macbook is the 2.2GHz model, with 16gb RAM (i need to change the signature) and an SSD. I know there haven't been any specs released yet, but do you think that i would be able to run Mavericks? I'm hoping so, but since this laptop, there have been 2 new intel releases - ivybridge and haswell. I'm only on sandybridge sooo.....?

Upgrade Price and Grace Period?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.