Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accessing PC Harddrives From iMac

Hi all, not sure if this is right discussion areas, but hoping someone is able to assist me.

I have a iMac (Mountain Lion) and a PC (Windows 7 Ultimate) on the saame wireless home network, bith connected under the same workgroup. I've managed to get access to some of the folders on the PC from the iMac, but am stuck at accessing other harddrives on the PC.

My Windows 7 PC is setup as:

1. C:/Drive - operating system and core programs with a computer name of OFFICE-PC
  2. DATA Drive - documents and working files
  3. MUSIC Drive - music collection
  4. PHOTOS Drive - photo collection

The network pathnames of 2-4 are \\OFFICE-PC\Data or \\OFFICE-PC\Music or \\OFFICE-PC\Photos

I'm trying to connect via iMAC CMD+K - Connect to Server and m typing the server name as: smb://OFFICE-PC/Data

All I'm getting is a message from iMac saying "There was a problem connecting to the server "office-pc". You do not have permission to access this server"

I'm at a loss and appreciate any help / guidance someone could give me.

Thanks

Darrran

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jun 15, 2013 5:47 AM

3 replies

Jun 16, 2013 4:51 AM in response to Darran_NSW

FINALLY - SOLUTION FOUND !!!

Everyone was / is talking permissions - and finally found something at

http://superuser.com/questions/100645/windows-7-drive-pshared-with-everyone-but- not-accessible-by-windows-xp-compu

1. On PC - right click harddrive you want to access
  2. Select properties
  3. Select security tab
  4. Click advanced
  5. Click change permissions
  6. Click add
  7. Type Guest in the object name box
  8. Click check name (to make sure ok)
  9. Click OK
  10. Tick allow full control
  11. Click ok
  12. Click apply
  13. Click continue on any error messages.

Now from iMac - get to "Connect to Server" (CMD+K) and enter normal smb:// pathname (to access my photos drive is use smb://office-pc/photos

Enter Windows PC Username/Password at prompt - and presto - all now accessible

I hope this helps others out too.

Accessing PC Harddrives From iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.