Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

VNC Screen Sharing with a running Mac without a confirmation

Thank you for any suggestions!

I need to regularly check with another Mac that has a static IP and is always running. Both machines run Snow Leopard and I use the command Connect To Server in Finder to connect to VNC://….

So far I managed to ask for confirmation and have someone in the location confirm to establish Screen Sharing, but I have not been able to do the same without asking for permission first.

I don’t want to use the first option By asking for permission

but the second option As a registered user.

The error message is:

Authentication failed to “server

Please verify you have entered the correct name and password.

Does the user who wants to establish the connection have to be a different one from the one who is currently logged in? I have tried both, the same user and a different registered user on the machine.

What else could I do differently?

One is a Mac Pro and one is a Mac Mini both run 10.6.8

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Jun 15, 2013 7:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2013 10:54 AM

I have been doing this for years...

Do you have a real world static IP or is it behind a router. If behind a router:

1. look into No-IP for its free (manually renewable monthly) or paid services to convert it to a real IP and domain-style name; and

2. open port 5900 on your router to the mac's local static IP that you want to control.

Go into System Preferences:Sharing and click on Computer Settings... and uncheck that anyone may ask for permission.

I then just use the GO menu in Finder on the outside Mac as in this example:

vnc://noriker.noipnet.net (or suitable substitute that No-IP will provide for you) and log in with my account name and password for that particular Mac.

Does that work for you?

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 16, 2013 10:54 AM in response to Noriker

I have been doing this for years...

Do you have a real world static IP or is it behind a router. If behind a router:

1. look into No-IP for its free (manually renewable monthly) or paid services to convert it to a real IP and domain-style name; and

2. open port 5900 on your router to the mac's local static IP that you want to control.

Go into System Preferences:Sharing and click on Computer Settings... and uncheck that anyone may ask for permission.

I then just use the GO menu in Finder on the outside Mac as in this example:

vnc://noriker.noipnet.net (or suitable substitute that No-IP will provide for you) and log in with my account name and password for that particular Mac.

Does that work for you?

Jun 16, 2013 12:30 PM in response to MlchaelLAX

Thank you very much. Yes, I use a router. I think I already did all that, it does work with permission after all.

1. I use Dyn.com’s service and already have my vnc://…dyn.com static domain.

2. I opened port 5900 on the router linking to the Mac’s local IP.

3. I tried with and without anyone may ask for permission.

4. When you log in, do you use the same username that is currently logged in on the computer you want to connect to?

5. So you don’t use the password you set in the Preferences for Screen Sharing but the one associated with your account?

The thing I don’t understand is why it does work when asking for permission.

VNC Screen Sharing with a running Mac without a confirmation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.