Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wake-on-LAN

Does Wake-on-LAN works with ARD and the local machine connected to an AirPort Extreme (by ethernet cable)? I mean, can I swith the local machine on and off remotely? If so, what are the steps to follow to set it up ? If not, alternative solutions? Thanks,

Posted on Jun 15, 2013 10:10 AM

6 replies

Jun 20, 2013 2:58 PM in response to sTcA

Hi

'. . . I mean, can I swith the local machine on and off remotely?'

No.

This functionality has actually nothing to do with ARD or WoL which, although related, are two slightly different technologies. LOM or Lights Out Management is what actually allows power up and power down of remote devices. The hardware itself has to support it and none of apple's current hardware line-up support it. The only product apple ever made that did support LOM was the XServe which was discontinued 2+ years ago.

HTH?

Tony

Jun 21, 2013 2:39 AM in response to Antonio Rocco

Thanks, but then what Apple says on their website is not true...

Remote Administration

User uploaded file

Manage systems remotely

• Sleep and wake a group of Mac OS X systems
  • Restart and shut down a group of Mac OS X systems, perform restart and shut down immediately or allow users to save work
  • Power on one or more Mac OS X systems which feature Lights Out Management

Jun 24, 2013 8:39 AM in response to sTcA

You don't need LOM to wake, restart or shut down an Mac. That works on every Mac on which ARD runs, though WOL which uses Directed Broadcast doesn't work across the Internet or across many routers since Directed Broadcast is restricted by many system administrators from going outside of subnets. There are ways to work around that issue, but they're not always reliable.

The only feature restricted to LOM-equipped systems is the ability to remotely power one up from a complete shutdown. If that feature is of critical importance to you, then you're going to have a problem with the Mac platform in general since no system other than the Xserve with LOM can be powered up remotely.

Regards.

Jun 24, 2013 1:39 PM in response to varjak paw

Personaly what I do for my home computer, it's a desktop, and I have the screen set to sleep, but the computer set to never sleep. I have it set to auto turn on in the morning. (if it's asleep it turns on, if it's off it boots) and to auto reboot after a power outage or in the instance the computer freezes.

And I use LogMeIn to remotely acess my computer over the internet. I use logmein because I don't have to have a static ip or dydns to remotely connect from over the intenret.

Alterantively if your power consumption

Instead of turning off the machines, you could 'sleep' the computer. When the computer is asleep, you should be able to wake the computer using Wake on Ethernet Activity or Wake on Demand. Both options have hardware, software, technical requirements. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3774 has details on Wake on Demand.

again auto turn on, auto reboot is useful in backing up such a config.

I've never personally tried using wake on demand, because I don't have a sleep proxy.

Ether eway

If your worried some one might turn off the computer there are ways to hide shutdown form the menu and the login screen.

Wake-on-LAN

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.