Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture, why when I delete from an album it deletes it from the project folder

Aperture, why when I delete from an album it deletes it from the project folder also.

I thought that it was the other way round, in that the library was not the main entry.

I have 10 project folders and 6 albums and I want to remove the albums and keep the projects "as is"

I am unsure as to how I wound up with albums in the Aperture program.

thanks

Greg

Lamont

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jun 15, 2013 2:09 PM

13 replies

Jun 15, 2013 2:46 PM in response to greg1424

Hi Greg. How are you deleting the Images in the Albums?

As we go forward, let's stick to these names for the parts:

- Projects (not "Project Folders"). The show in the Library Inspector with an icon that looks like an old-fashioned box for files.

- Folders. They hold Projects and Albums and other Folders. They do not hold Images directly. The icon looks like a folder.

- Albums. There are several kinds. The icon for regular Albums shows two rectangles, the front-most nearly covering the other, and surrounded with a bright white border.

--Kirby.

Jun 15, 2013 4:33 PM in response to greg1424

If you run the command remove from album (delete key) on a version in an Album then the version is only removed from the Album.

If you run delete version (command-delete) then the version is deleted from the Aperture library and if this is the only version for the original the original is removed also.

See Deleting version also deleted the master for more information on this. For what it is worth the way Aperture handles this is wrong but had been this way since the beginning.

regards

Jun 15, 2013 6:15 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

WOW!

I did not realize that, I have always hit that button, I simple thought it was a shortcut.

Does this hold true for the projects, in other words if I download from the camera and want to discard unwanted photos can I simplr hit the trash icon?

AND can I also hit the icon it I want to remove a photo from the project that I no longer want in any folder?

I hope I made myself clear in the questions.

Thanks

Greg

Jun 15, 2013 6:30 PM in response to greg1424

As I wrote the trash icon seems to be running Delete version.

Delete version does just what it's name implies it will delete the version(s) selected and more them to the trash. In addition if the version is the only version then the original is deleted also. See the tip I linked to above.

This will be true no matter where the version selected is located.

Hope this answerers your question.

regards

Jun 15, 2013 6:59 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

I guess I answered too soon.

I tried your way and it still removes it from the project.

I also created a new project, transfered the 82 photos from the album and then deleted an imge out of the album and it removed it from both the original project and the new one I set up.

I tried both an image that I adjusted and an original that I did not make any PP to.

The PP versionhave 2 options said " Delete original image and all versions" and "Delete Version", the the PP image just said "Delete Version"

Very frustrating

One other thing, these images were transfered from iPhoto when I first got Aperture.

I will keep them in my iPhoto and a External HD as back up.

Greg

Jun 16, 2013 2:50 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Never used the Trash icon either (and generally don't show the Toolbar). But at least the Tooltip is correct:

User uploaded file

Now that I think on it, clicking "Trash" _should_ put the item in the Aperture Trash. The confusion comes from the use of "Delete" -- specifically using a key with that label to execute a command that changes based on not only what kind of item is selected, but where the item is located. So in this case (let me parenthetically add I have yet to take part in my morning caffeine ritual) "Delete" in the Tooltip does not equal "press and release the 'delete' key", but rather is used as a verb (rightly, imho).

Not sure what a better design might be, but perhaps at least popping up a window saying, "The selected items are Images in an Album. Would you like to remove them from the Album, or move them to the Aperture Trash (which will delete them from the Project they are in)?".

Greg -- I suggest using the context-sensitive menu (a/k/a "right-click") to select the command you want:

User uploaded file

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger - formatting and clean-up.

Jun 16, 2013 7:44 PM in response to greg1424

"Right-click" is no longer literal. In many cases it is refered to as a "secondary button click", or even just "secondary click". There are many ways to effect it in OS X.

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57584236-285/five-ways-to-right-click-on-a-m ac-trackpad/

See if there is a Preferences Panel for your trackpad ("➞System Preferences"). Here is the Preference Panel for the MBP trackpad:

User uploaded file

(Click for large sharp image.)

Aperture, why when I delete from an album it deletes it from the project folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.