Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Playback on garageband midi creating distortion - help!

I have about 8 midi tracks recorded. When i play them back, after about 30-90 seconds the sound becomes distorted with a strange glitchy sound. Sometimes it lasts longer before it happens, but it's getting more frequent now. Once it starts it it won't go away unless I close the program and usually have to re-start my computer.

My levels are all low. including the master. No clipping. I even tried muting most of the tracks. Still happens.

I have Garageband 11.

I have no idea what to do. Thanks for your help

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.4.1)

Posted on Jun 15, 2013 1:15 PM

3 replies

Jul 14, 2013 2:00 AM in response to robinopolis

hi, I think i have the same or similar problem at the moment bnut my glitchy crackle is intermittent . Ive used GB for 2 years but this random crackling noise is becoming more frequent with every project. It last only a few seconds , if I timed it it might be the same length exactly each time but it is def random and pops up wherever it feels like it, strangely some of my songs are completely unaffected by it and others are ruined by it. Ive done mix after mix, Ive deleted FX and tracks to lessen the CPU load. Ive got about 4 diffrent threads on this forum open to get help for it but no one is coming through yet.

Sorry I cant help you but if you get a result let me know.

regards

Paul

Jul 14, 2013 2:22 AM in response to pauldepechemode66

Do you guys ever have any other apps running in the background when you are creating? Have you tried creating on another Mac? If so, was the problem still there? I'm wondering if something might be competing for memory or something. Or maybe hardware - duff RAM addresses.

I doubt if GarageBand works when in Safe Boot, but if it does, does the problem crop up then?

Paul - I agree that crackle is awful. Nice track by the way.

Jul 14, 2013 9:46 AM in response to El Deanio

hi, no there are no programs running except Garageband and I dont have the use of another mac to try out sadly. I recently installed extra ram and have noticed the ease of use improved so I dont think my imac is struggling. The last album i made still suffered with crackle but not anywhere near this amount lately and the only thing Ive done differently since recording the last album is invest in more plug in synths like Alchemy, Podolski and Reaktor etc so Im wondering if this is the prob. All I have connected to the mac is my Muadio fast track interface and my Maudio studio monitors so there should be no outside interference.

Playback on garageband midi creating distortion - help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.