Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari won't load webpages

Beginning about 10 days or more ago, just after the recent software upgrade, suddenly my iMac safari won't load half the websites I go to and others don't look right. I've done EVERYTHING I've found in support to fix the issue. Cleared caches, reset safari, software updates... I have NO idea how the proxy or other settings work under network in preferences but I've tried recommended changes, tested and then undid the changes when those didn't work either. I've deleted my only 2 safari extension, as well as half the plugins I recently installed on my self hosted server for blog testing, just to see if they caused problems.

Also the images for my widgets/plugins on my blog no longer show up, in any browser, on my iMac. I cannot access their websites either but I have sent each of them (scoopit, goodreads and Pinterest) emails asking if their sites are down or if there are any known issues.

I have endless probs now with iTunes updates because I'm American living overseas and now apple won't accept my new Visa card info (which precludes purchasing any upgrades).

Very frustrated. Seriously, there's nothing left that shows up on any support pages that I haven't tried (whether listed here or not). And authorized support in this country isn't so good. So what next??!

iMac

Posted on Jun 15, 2013 10:59 PM

15 replies

Jun 16, 2013 12:03 AM in response to andreafromspringfield gardens

What software update did you do? If it was from 10.8.3 to 10.8.4 have you tried re-applying the update using the 'combo'? It contains all revisions since 10.8.0 rather than just the changes from the last point revision. Re-applying the update using the combo sometimes fixes odd issues. If you are on Mountain Lion (you don't say on your profile) and this is what you updated it's worth giving it a go. It's OK to re-apply the update over your existing OS, but as always, ensure you have reliable backup you can restore from if necessary:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1659

Jun 16, 2013 12:09 AM in response to Paul_31

Hi, I'm still 10.6...8? I think. Part of not being able to upgrade because apl won't accept my visa suddenly. I researched that upgrade yesterday but aside from the payment issue I didn't trust myself to not make the problem worse trying an upgrade. But I will keep your advice in mind, definitely! Thank you

Jun 16, 2013 12:15 AM in response to andreafromspringfield gardens

Can you remember what the software upgrade was that you applied just before the problems started?

If it was an update of 10.6.x to 10.6.8, there is a combo for that as well:

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=answerlink&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsupport.apple .com%2Fkb%2FDL1399&answerid=16777216&src=support_site.downloads.search

It wasn't an update to the OS itself you can probably ignore this suggestion.

Jun 16, 2013 4:19 AM in response to Paul_31

Paul - I use the software update button regularly and usually there's nothing. All I remember is that something finally updated, installed and restarted about 10 days ago when I did. I don't know how to check to see what it was. And I don't like using time machine because of whatever else it might change/undo.

Tom - Firefox also does not work for the same sites. I don't have chrome at home.

Just bummed..everything was FINE and then BOOM, not fine. I've never researched problems online with mac or pc, tried different solutions on my own or in forums and had the problem NOT get fixed lickity split. aargh.

Any other ideas?

Jun 16, 2013 4:29 AM in response to andreafromspringfield gardens

It's long time since I used Snow Leopard 10.6.8, but I think that in System Preferences>Software Update there is a button you can click on to tell you what's been installed. Not 100% sure of this, but worth a look.

How are you connecting to the internet via Wifi or Ethernet? Perhaps try the alternative to what your currently doing.

Also, do you have any anti-virus software installed, or apps that supposedly enhance or speed up your Mac? There are some apps that, based on reports on here, can really muck up connectivity for some users. Some that spring to mind are Avast, Norton, Kaspersky and MacKeeper. Got any of those running?

Also, if you have Parental Controls enabled that can affect things, based on reports on here. And, some software that is intended to censor what is viewable can mess with your connection. Peer Guardian is one that has appeared on here from time-to-time as being problematic. And finally, the only other app I can think of that sometimes gets a mention for causing problems (rarely) is Little Snitch.

So, have you got any of these or similar installed?

Jun 16, 2013 5:48 AM in response to Paul_31

Thank you, I'll look to see if there's a button like that. But I don't remember seeing one.

I'm tethered through wifi (since tethering via usb stopped working with the last os update - see the dozens of forum complaints about that). I've done the same thing for years with no issues except wifi instead of usb now. I don't have an alternative, although I have tried the neighbors wifi and the same few web pages still won't open.

I have NO antivirus programs running (The first thing I learned not to do when I switched to mac, what a relief that was). Parental controls are off, checked that friday. I don't think I have anything like this installed, although I did just switch my blog from wordpress.com to self hosting, so I have been experimenting with MAMP local host to play with themes and plugins. BUT, the problems started well after that, and a few weeks after I stopped using it and started doing everything live online instead. And I don't import/export from my local host to my self hosted site, they're entirely separate. I also went into those files and specifically deleted all the plugins and downloads from my local thingy just to see if it changed anything. Nothing.

I went into utilities and did the verify scan thing, all clear there too. I wish there were more diagnostic and cleaning type utilities in the mac. I've run every one I can find and they're telling me there's no problem. Shoudl have paid more attention the day it happened so I could localize the lesion.

thank you all so much for helping!

Jun 16, 2013 5:59 AM in response to Paul_31

hmmm. I forgot ..for about 4 days just before this weekend, my iphone also wouldn't access some pages, just 20% loaded the blue line and stayed there. So I'm trying again now, and it's the same. For example goodreads.com.... won't load. If I went directly to a /login or /about link for these pages they'll half load with scrambled appearance, but never fully just spins and spins and goes nowhere.

There are pages censored in Saudi, but they are obvious with a warning message. So I don't think it's that. And how could it be my phone/ISP if I can still access most sites?

Jun 16, 2013 10:21 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Tom - I just tried openDNS and google but no change. And as of coming home tonight now Facebook won't open either. Just loads and loads endlessly.

Pinterest even happened in stages, first half the images wouldn't show up, now nothing. It's like somethings eating through my internet. For 1 day this weekend I couldn't access the apple site/support/forums, it took another day before they pages started loading.

Paul - I cannot find anything that shows recent updates now that I'm home to look.

Jun 16, 2013 8:48 PM in response to Paul_31

In the long one I wrote a few boxes up... I tether with my iphone wifi. I've tried the neighbors wifi but same problem.

Everything else works, email, most websites. Not sure what to do next either 😟

Here's a weird new development... I just clicked pinterest again just to check (I do this often) and up popped (immediately) the log in page. So I logged in and the site popped up. WEIRD! goodreads still not loading, nor facebook or upworthy. So why does pinterest suddenly like me?

ah..the questions of life.....

Message was edited by: andreafromspringfield gardens

Dec 18, 2014 4:27 AM in response to andreafromspringfield gardens

It is likely that your DNS prefetching engine isn't working properly. This is how to fix it:

1. Go to the top right corner of your screen, and click on the little search bar button.

2. Type in:

terminal

3. When Terminal is open, type in:

defaults write com.apple.safari WebKitDNSPrefetchingEnabled -boolean false

4. Press Enter

5. Close Terminal, and start Safari. The problem should be solved.

Safari won't load webpages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.