Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

will this HD fit in a 2009 Mac Pro?

I haven't made any upgrades in a few years, but I have a late late 2009 MAC Pro.

I don't know if hard drives have changed. I haven't installed one in a while. I think the 2009 uses SATA or ESATA.

I am looking at this drive http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+2TB+Internal+Serial+ATA+III+Hard+Drive+for +Desktops/7585075.p?id=1218853502284&skuId=7585075.

And want to know if it will fit in my MAC

Thanks.

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), early 2009 8 core 2.4Ghz processors

Posted on Jun 16, 2013 9:33 AM

9 replies

Jun 16, 2013 10:10 AM in response to FatMac-MacPro

Any retail SATA drive you can buy today will work in a Mac Pro. Some very old models (which should no longer be available at retail) may have trouble with Bus speed switching.

"Desktop" SATA drives are 3.5" form factor, have 12Volt motors, are reasonably fast, and will fit on the sleds in all Mac Pros. Their 12Volt motors and large size preclude using them in a Notebook computer.

"NoteBook" SATA drives tend to be 2.5" form factor, have 5Volt motors and are not as fast (except SSD drives) and will not immediately fit on a standard Mac Pro sled, neither the 2008 and older sled or the 2009 and newer sled.

SSD drives have no motors and no moving parts, are MUCH Faster than Rotating drives, do not fit on a standard Mac Pro sled without adaptation, and come with a few "quirks" than need to be addressed -- the most important of which is Enabling TRIM.

--------

Confidential to FatMac\>MacPro: That SSD looks to be remarkably FAST for its cheap $100 price. Your next Boot Drive ??

Jun 16, 2013 10:13 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant Bennet-Alder wrote:

...SSD drives have no motors and no moving parts, are MUCH Faster than Rotating drives, do not fit on a standard Mac Pro sled without adaptation, and come with a few "quirks" than need to be addressed -- the most important of which is Enabling TRIM.

The difference in speed is, indeed, remarkable. I used an OWC sled adapter to install mine and it worked without a hitch. With TRIM, on the other hand, the more I learn, the more complicated it gets. My SSD is, internally, a RAID configuration, which doesn't support TRIM, so there's not much I can do.

Jun 16, 2013 10:20 AM in response to FatMac-MacPro

Apple was using Toshiba at one point and the results in write performance were nothing to write home about. My experience has been Corsair (okay), Intel 330 (fine), Samsung 840 (in awe, and amazed). YMMV.

But given the cost of drives and we are going to have 4, for system, media, backup, scratch, etc they fit perfectly into storage needs and planning.

I did a long write-up on what to know and be concerned with regarding SSDs. One of my "bookmarks" if you want to look and find it.

Icy Dock $15

http://www.amazon.com/2-5-3-5-Ssd-sata-Convert/dp/B002Z2QDNE/

Jun 16, 2013 10:57 AM in response to The hatter

The hatter wrote:

...I did a long write-up on what to know and be concerned with regarding SSDs. One of my "bookmarks" if you want to look and find it...

Thanks for the heads-up. That does cover a lot of territory, and the MacRumors post deals with a lot of information a lot more succinctly than I ever did. I'm still wondering about TRIM vs SandForce controllers though. AnandTech deals with that in a number of articles, and I'm left with the feeling I shouldn't push my luck. But since Lion tells me my SSD Medium Type is "Rotational," I guess I don't have to worry.

Jun 16, 2013 11:09 AM in response to FatMac-MacPro

Lion should get a big fat "F" probably :-(

I've looked into SSD's DNA for 5 yrs now and remember SF and a proprietary SF was developed by Intel too. Firmware and SSDs are constantly changing and evolving. Apple just won't put their toe in the water to offer better universald support.

SATA III has as one of its features, yet to be fully implemented, that all writes and that NCQ would incorporate TRIM at the drive level rather than leave it up to OS - but it depends OS, on the controller and firmware.

I would not listen to OWC on the subject. I would not NOT use TRIM.

The debate of SF was on the idea that BGC was "enough"? It is not. It is not effective or efficient.

Boot from another drive with TRIM Enabler and run DU to do a repair every week or two if you don't use it "actively." Or buy Apple SSD... only you can't !! you can't just walk in and order an Apple 256GB SSD :-((

I looked at pricing an iMac, and 500GB SSD option - if it is as good as the Samsung 840 Pro, was priced right in line. The Samsung 840 non-Pro is $200 less.

Jun 16, 2013 12:51 PM in response to FatMac-MacPro

oh well you tell me you use RAID; and RAID and TRIM don't go together at all.

3G SSD though are a waste, because SATA III has improved how devices and features live and operate and I do not buy OWC.

Intel has never supported TRIM on hardware RAID.

OWC PCIe also has had a history - like any SSD only more so - of corrupting and needing restore (because it does not use TRIM for one). DATA on their PCIe does fine, but not the system :-(

An SSD, the larger the capacity the more channels it has, so that a 240GB will have more channels and support higher IO and why 480GB even more so, and your smaller units less and don't do as well (and 80GB and smaller fare the worst).

The only way today you get 960GB in an SSD is by combining... that to me is totally unique and different and beyond the scope of the normal single SSD used for a system in the native SATA II drive bays in a Mac Pro, or on a PCIe card in non-array setups. It is particular to OWC and RAID for one thing.

Just trying to see if SSD or not is suitable to the OP before confused out of their wits that it is all too much!

960GB SSD $1000 and you are using NAND not "off the shelf commercial SSDs".

will this HD fit in a 2009 Mac Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.