Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Losing control of input in browser - 2 laptops on same network

Hello Forum,

We have had a sudden worrisome problem. It has apparently been an off and on problem affecting my partner's MacBook Pro (purchased Fall, 2011) for at least a month now. The first time it affected my system (MacBook Pro, purchased last Nov 2012) was last week.

When log into the browser (Firefox on her laptop and Chrome on mine), and attempt to enter text in the Search or URL bar, the computer makes an odd noise - rapid alerts, really - and enters a series of characters. On its own. Very rapidly. The keyboard functions are disabled, and you can't do anything else even if you shut down the browser. The only way out is to shut down completely and reboot from a cold start.

Last week, on my system, the browser started scrolling rapidly down the page on its own while I was working in a Content Manager API to update a client's website. Again, I had to shut down.

It also makes a staccato noise, like a multiple beep beep beep BEEEEEP alert while overtaking the browser.

On her laptop, we had a devil of a time even shutting down the other night. But this is not an issue every time. Nevertheless, the issue affects her system more than mine. I am going to install an anti-virus

When it happened to my computer also, we felt it might be network related. We run an iPhone 4 and an iPhone 5, a 2012 MacBook Pro and a 2011 MacBook Pro, and, very occasionally, an old Toshiba Windows 7 laptop on our wireless network. Our ISP assures us this issue is not network related.

I have an anti-virus program installed with definitions up-to-date and a clean full scan completed last night. My partner does not, believing Macs to be less susceptible to viruses than Windows systems. I will be installing an AV program in her machine.

Also...I am hearing that Macs are more vulnerable than they used to be, and that some of the new malware can hide and lurk, so it becomes undetected when AV scans are run.

I also have an Apple Care plan, by the way, if it is something else entirely -- our ISP suggested that conflicts can sometimes occur when you get updates.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), 15 inch, 2.6 GHz i7 8 GB DDR3

Posted on Jun 16, 2013 10:16 AM

13 replies

Jun 16, 2013 11:53 AM in response to AnneMowat

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a test, not a solution. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

Step 1

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is localized to your user account.

Enable guest logins* and log in as Guest. Don't use the Safari-only “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac.”

While logged in as Guest, you won’t have access to any of your personal files or settings. Applications will behave as if you were running them for the first time. Don’t be alarmed by this; it’s normal. If you need any passwords or other personal data in order to complete the test, memorize, print, or write them down before you begin.

Test while logged in as Guest. Same problem?

After testing, log out of the guest account and, in your own account, disable it if you wish. Any files you created in the guest account will be deleted automatically when you log out of it.

*Note: If you’ve activated “Find My Mac” or FileVault, then you can’t enable the Guest account. The “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac” is not the same. Create a new account in which to test, and delete it, including its home folder, after testing.

Step 2

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party system modifications that load automatically at startup or login, or by a peripheral device.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards. Boot in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. Note: If FileVault is enabled, or if a firmware password is set, or if the boot volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, and some things won’t work at all, including Wi-Fi on certain iMacs. The next normal boot may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, reboot as usual (i.e., not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of steps 1 and 2.

Jun 16, 2013 7:01 PM in response to AnneMowat

Are you suggesting that my Antivirus program (which I obtained via the Mac App Store) is actually CAUSING this issue?

Linc tends to have a very black and white view of anti-virus software. Actually, not even black and white, as he sees no good in anti-virus software at all. However, in this case, that's not your problem. Anti-virus software from the App Store cannot install anything that runs in the background, and is sandboxed, thus it cannot affect Safari in the way you describe.

What this sounds like to me is either some other third-party software that you have installed on both machines or some (possibly) coincidental hardware issue that is causing the keyboard and/or trackpad to send spurious signals. I'd recommend starting with Linc's other suggestions first, and if they don't lead to anything positive, let us know what happened

Jun 17, 2013 4:03 AM in response to Barney-15E

Is there any documented case where it has done any good? All I've ever seen is it causing problems.

Of course there is! I've heard from people who have had real malware blocked by anti-virus software. (I've seen it myself, experimentally.) Mac malware may be rare, but it does exist, and good anti-virus software does have the capacity to block it. Mac OS X does have some good anti-malware protection, but it's not perfect... it can't be perfect. I've seen malware get past it, both in the real world and experimentally.

I'm not saying that anti-virus software is particularly important for most people at this time (it's not), and I'm certainly not arguing that many of the available anti-virus programs don't have the capacity to cause problems. To keep this all in context, what I'm saying here is that the anti-virus software in the App Store cannot possibly be causing the described problems here.

Jun 17, 2013 5:51 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks to Barney, Linc, and Thomas—let me try what you suggest and get back to you. The problem I describe doesn't happen every single time we boot up, however. Also, do you want me to report back after doing the test on one or both laptops? This may take a few days as I am not online via laptop l the time. Also, I may have questions for you as I go thru the steps.

Thank you.

Anne

Jul 7, 2013 11:40 AM in response to Barney-15E

HOW THIS PROBLEM WAS FULLY RESOLVED, THANKS TO BRILLIANT CAMERON IN APPLE CARE TECH SUPPORT. 🙂

Hello to Barney, Linc, and Thomas above:

Apple Care Support Tech namedCameron, with whom I spoke yesterday morning directly solved my problem! Here's how:

He asked me to describe, exactly, what was going on.

Then, he made a keen observation. This problem presented as if a keyboard were malfuntioning - a stuck key, say.

Lo and behold, when I granted him access to my desktop via screen takeover, he saw that Bluetooth was on, and there was a wireless Apple keyboard nearby with a low battery notice. (It was in a computer bag, and I'd totally forgotten about it, and didn't realize it was even left on.)

We removed the batteries and all our issues with both laptops vanished instantly. What a relief. What a lesson to learn.

So I wanted you guys to know, in case other community members post similar issues to this one.

Thank you for your efforts. And Cameron, if you are out there, huge thanks to you!

Best,

Anne Mowat

<Personal Information Edited by Host>

Losing control of input in browser - 2 laptops on same network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.