Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my Magic Mouse keep losing connection?

I've had my Magic Mouse for about 6 months now. I use it with my MacBook Pro RD. It works fine most of the time but every now and then it would lose connection for anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes. This happens even with newly replaced batteries so I know it's not a battery problem. I really expected better from what I thought would be a high quality mouse from Apple.

I am thinking of sending it back to be repaired or something, but when I entered its serial number to check the warranty status, I get the error "We're sorry, but this serial number is not valid. Please check your information and try again." In fact, the serial number printed on my mouse's battery compartment has 17 characters but the support page here only allows you to enter a 14-character serial number! What is going on?

Magic Mouse-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jun 16, 2013 10:45 AM

7 replies

Aug 9, 2013 2:23 PM in response to griff w

I was having the same problem and found another thread with the solution. Basically the problem is some batteries do not fit tightly in the compartment and jiggle around causing the mouse to lose power and therefore the connection. The solution is either buy the apple rechareable batteries or wedge a piece of paper in between the batteries and the compartment lid (I used a bit on an index card fold over on itself). Once I did that = no more lost connection every 10 minutes.

The thread I'm referring to is here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4261715?start=0&tstart=0

Posting in case someone else (like I did) comes here looking for an answer.

Why does my Magic Mouse keep losing connection?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.