Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Early 2013 MBPr 15in freezes on sleep

Ive had my Macbook for a little over 4 months now and ever since the last update I CANNOT close the macbook without it freezing when I open it and I have to force-restart. Whenever I open the macbook up, I have control of the mouse but it instantly changes to the spinning beach ball and my fans go crazy. Whenever I trun it back on, there is a 50/50 chance that I get a flashing folder with a question mark instead of the Mac Apple. I then have to force-restart again and hope it starts up (it eventually does)

This all started happening after the LATEST update. No problems before this.

I also have a seperate partion I run windows 8 on.

Any help would be MAJORLY appreciated. I really dont want to have to go to a store to get it repaired.

Thanks!

Eric

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), 2.4Ghz Core i7, 8GB Ram, 250Gb SSD

Posted on Jun 16, 2013 4:42 PM

4 replies

Jun 18, 2013 11:52 AM in response to EHayes35

Hi EHayes35,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

For more information on this, take a look at this article:

A flashing question mark appears when you start your Mac

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1440

In most cases, reselecting the startup disk is all that is required to resolve the issue.

For troubleshooting on this, take a look at this article:

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

It is possible that the SMC could encounter an issue that may cause unusual system behavior

Best of luck,

Mario

Jul 19, 2013 10:27 AM in response to EHayes35

Same issue here, Eric. However, to date, I've only experienced the "? Folder" on start-up once. I never know when I'll get the spinning ball after openning the lid. This behavior did begin after the last Mountain Lion update.

I am running a pretty clean Mac.... execute Onyx regularly and have a fairly new SSD. Perhaps I'll look into the SMC reset Mario mentioned.

David

Early 2013 MBPr 15in freezes on sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.