Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphoto crashing whenever I open it.

Hallo.

I seem to have broken my iphoto library. It is on an external hard drive and every time I open it it crashes within seconds. I think the photos are still there. I have two other iphoto libraries, one on the same external hard drive and the other on the internal hard drive. Both of these are working fine. I thought I had everything backed up on time machine but I can't get into time machine for this library without opening the library which I can't do. Should I be panicking?

What can I do to fix it? I've got loads of photos. Feel very worried

Catrionapa

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Iphoto 8.1.2

Posted on Jun 16, 2013 5:34 PM

4 replies

Jun 16, 2013 10:37 PM in response to Catrionapa

iPhoto 8.1.2?

Option 1

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Repair Database. If that doesn't help, then try again, this time using Rebuild Database.

If that fails:

Option 2

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. (In early versions of Library Manager it's the File -> Rebuild command. In later versions it's under the Library menu.)

This will create an entirely new library. It will then copy (or try to) your photos and all the associated metadata and versions to this new Library, and arrange it as close as it can to what you had in the damaged Library. It does this based on information it finds in the iPhoto sharing mechanism - but that means that things not shared won't be there, so no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your events, albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Regards

TD

Jun 16, 2013 11:55 PM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks so much for your help. Just checking, what the best way to back up if I can't get into iPhoto? I have run time machine but can't seem to get them back from it. I'm nervous of doing anything until I'm sure I've properly backed up. I don't want to back up onto the internal hard drive because its too big (232G)

Thanks

Catriona

Ps yes iPhoto 8.1.2

Jun 17, 2013 1:29 AM in response to Catrionapa

Most Simple Back Up:

Drag the iPhoto Library from your Pictures Folder to another Disk. This will make a copy on that disk.

Slightly more complex:

Use an app that will do incremental back ups. This is a very good way to work. The first time you run the back up the app will make a complete copy of the Library. Thereafter it will update the back up with the changes you have made. That makes subsequent back ups much faster. Many of these apps also have scheduling capabilities: So set it up and it will do the back up automatically.

Example of such apps: Chronosync - but there are many others. Search on MacUpdateor the App Store

Iphoto crashing whenever I open it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.