Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing phone number from iMessage

I had an iPhone. It was associated with iMessage. I moved to the (gasp) Samsung Galaxy S IV. I have several other devices, including desk tops and iPads that are logged into iMessage. For some reason, all my previous contacts with iPhones can't text me, unless they turn off iMessage. Their devices don't see a delivered message, but it never tries text either. As an Apple user, I'm let down by the fact that users can't specify in a thread that they don't want to use iMessage, especially given the number of complaints concerning this feature.

iMessage problem

Posted on Jun 16, 2013 8:47 PM

19 replies

Jun 17, 2013 11:24 AM in response to jimwoodard

Already removed my phone number from my account. Already removed me from the contacts and the iPhone automatically put my new contact into iMessage state. No, I'm not receiving texts. Hoping for a response that isn't in one of the hundreds of other threads. I already did the following:

1. Went to my devices and removed the phone number from iMessage AND FaceTime.

2. Removed the iPhone from devices in my iTunes account.

3. Turned iMessage off on the phone, even though it's not paired with the phone #

4. Reset the phone to factory

5. Removed my contact from an iPhone and sent a text. Ready for the fun? Once it saw the number, it immediately assigned outbound messages to iMessage.

I had several iPhones on my personal account. I removed two. I still have 2 more. What's funny is that the other phone number that was using iMessage needed nothing special done. I didn't touch the iPhone and the number automatically went SMS on other iPhones when it was upgraded/changed to a Samsung phone. The point might become moot if I upgrade the whole family to Samsung and leave iPhone completely, but until then, my own wife and kids can't text me unless they turn off iMessage in their phones.

If there are any other suggestions, please give them to me. Thanks.

Message was edited by: jimwoodard - changed wording to clarify.

Jun 17, 2013 11:33 AM in response to jimwoodard

Oh, and I did have the iPhone family members turn iMessaging off in their settings, but that means they're not iMessaging anyone, so that's not helpful either. I still like the convenience of using iMessage from my desktop here. With iMessage off, they can text me, but when they turn it on, no texts. This is a little frustrating to say the least.

Jun 18, 2013 5:30 AM in response to jimwoodard

Thanks for all your help. I not only unregistered that phone, I unregistered all 5 of my phones. I removed the phone number from every device I have, which includes 7 MacBook Pros, 5 iPhones, 4 iPads, and 3 iPod Touches. I appreciate the specifity with which ChrisCA posted, but I've been using iMessage since its inception, and I was admittedly lax in my details. Let's just say, I understood your messages.

I want to say thank you to everyone who provided feedback. Not enough can be said about community input and the results are normally very positive. Unfortunately, I took the easy road - I changed my phone number. I'd only had this number a few days and a handful of people had it, so it was the path of least resistance.

Thanks again to all.

Sincerely,

Jim

Nov 11, 2013 6:31 AM in response to jimwoodard

You don't need to unregister your phone; you don't need to call apple. You need to go into iMessage settings on ALL of YOUR devices that are using iMessage. Once you've turned off iMessage on all of your devices, other people with iPhones will then be able to text your non-apple phone...

I just switched from an iPhone 4 to a Samsung Galaxy S3 and had the same problem: all non-apple phones could send and receive texts with me fine; the people who I could CALL but not text were iOS devices (phones). When I went into my OLD iPhone, iPad, and iMac, and turned off iMessage on ALL three devices using iMessage, I was able to begin receiving/sending texts with iPhones, no problem. IT'S ALL ABOUT YOUR iMESSAGE SETTINGS! 🙂

Nov 14, 2013 2:25 PM in response to crscott82

That's great, if you still have all the devices you've logged into iMessage with. However, if you sold an iPhone, and you didn't realize you had to explicitly turn of iMessage before you did a Erase All Settings and Content (you'd think doing so would tell iMessage it's logged out) or worse yet, youre phone was stolen, so you couldn't deactivate iMessage on it, then this doesn't help. For some reason, the Erase All Settings doesn't seem to be considered the same thing as logging out of iMessage specficially on the device. That in there lies the rub. Apple has not bothered to make an iMessage maintanence page which allows a user to log into thier ID, and disassociate a number in a case where they no longer have the ability to do so on a device that had that number on it. The'y're only solution is to assume we still have all the devices in our possession. Or, you have to call them, based on what one of the previous posters stated.

Kind of disappointing, considering how thier devices and service are supposed to be "everything just works". Sorry. This just doesn't work.

Removing phone number from iMessage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.