Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time-zone independent events and events that span timezones

Hi.

I use Calendar rather heavily. In fact, I have events in my calendar that date back from 1995 or so that have migrated forward from my Newton through Palms and Blackberries and now to iPhones - some migration or coexistence between the Mac and these devices was painful, to say the least. But, I digress...

For the record, I have Time Zone Support off on my iPhone and iPad. It's also off in Calendar on my Mac; the Mac is my 'authoritative' source of calendar (and address book) info. When I move, it changes timezones. For the most part, the iPhone and iPad do the right thing for events that have actual real times to them such as meetings. If I'm supposed to be on a phone call at 7AM Seattle time, when I go to Boston, I need to be on at 10AM and it does all the devices do the right thing with those events.

But, I want to create a recurring (daily) calendar event that happens at the same local time every day, regardless of what timezone I'm in. For example, I create such an event in Seattle for 9AM Seattle time (PT). When I go to Boston, I want it to happen there at 9AM ET; and the same if I went to India - 9AM IST.

Any thoughts? I live with this inconvenience for other things working quite well.

My other desire is when, for example, putting airplane trips into the calendar. I'm in Seattle and putting in Alaska Airlines Flight 12 which departs Seattle at 9:05AM PT and arrives at 5:34PM in Boston (ET). It would be wonderful, if for the the start and end times for event scheduling, there was a pull-down or scroll-wheel from which one could select the time zone. Now, I have to do the calculation and do 9:05AM departure and 2:34PM arrival. It's gets a little more difficult when one is going to places where daylight savings is not observed or if you are unfamiliar with the time differences (as when flying direct from the US to India).

Any thoughts on this problem??

aps.

Posted on Jun 16, 2013 7:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2015 10:44 PM

Hey Armando Stettner,

Thanks for the question, and what a great question it is!

With time zone support on, you can edit an individual event and change the time zone for that event. This list will include options for your default time zones, UTC, and "floating" - the latter of which is what you are looking for. Floating changes the event to occur at the specified time, local time.

For information on changing an event's time zone, see the following resource:

Calendar: Change an event’s time zone

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11531

I look forward to hearing how this works for you.

Cheers!

Matt M.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2015 10:44 PM in response to Armando Stettner

Hey Armando Stettner,

Thanks for the question, and what a great question it is!

With time zone support on, you can edit an individual event and change the time zone for that event. This list will include options for your default time zones, UTC, and "floating" - the latter of which is what you are looking for. Floating changes the event to occur at the specified time, local time.

For information on changing an event's time zone, see the following resource:

Calendar: Change an event’s time zone

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11531

I look forward to hearing how this works for you.

Cheers!

Matt M.

Apr 6, 2015 11:05 PM in response to matt00

Hi.

This almost solves the problem.

However, in the case of a trip (plane or otherwise) that crosses timezones, one wants a different timezone for the start and for the end times of an event. For example, plane departing Chicago at 7:30AM but arriving in Seattle at 10:05AM is not really a 2 hours and 35 minute flight but is really a 4 hours and 35 minute flight. One would like to create an event for this that starts at 7:30AM CDT and ends at 10:05AM PDT.

aps

Time-zone independent events and events that span timezones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.