Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hi, I am new to Numbers and am using iWork '09. How do I get the function formula (sum) to recognise when I am using the same formula in a column. eg, I have SUM(B3-C3) and wish this formula to be repeated down the column, so B4-C4 etc, without actually h

Hi, I am new to Numbers and am using iWork '09. How do I get the function formula (sum) to recognise when I am using the same formula in a column. eg, I have SUM(B3-C3) and wish this formula to be repeated down the column, so (B4-C4) etc, without actually having to insert the formula each time. Thanks.

iMac (21.5-inch Late 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Jun 16, 2013 11:11 PM

7 replies

Jun 17, 2013 10:15 AM in response to PatFrost

Pat,

Cliff's suggestion to eliminate the SUM function is not only an equivalent, it is the preferred way to express a simple difference. The SUM function serves only to confuse the reader since you only have one argument (expression) in your use of it, and SUM is only really useful with ranges or multiple arguments (expressions).

Your question is really about repeating a formula with relative addressing, not the use of SUM, be we can't resist commenting.

In addition to using the Fill tool, you can Copy the first cell and Paste it to the rest of the range. The result will be the same as a Fill. For small ranges, Fill works great. For very long ranges, like entire columns, sometimes there is a advantage to selecting an entire column by clicking on its tab and Pasting.

Jerry

Hi, I am new to Numbers and am using iWork '09. How do I get the function formula (sum) to recognise when I am using the same formula in a column. eg, I have SUM(B3-C3) and wish this formula to be repeated down the column, so B4-C4 etc, without actually h

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.