Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

disable mouse swap

Hi

I have disabled the Magic Mouse swapping features in the preferences menu but it doesn't seem to disable anything.

Any ideas how to stop horizontal swapping?

Thanks

Mic

OSX 10.8.4

MBP Retina

Magic Mouse

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8), Synology NAS, Airport Extreme

Posted on Jun 16, 2013 11:27 PM

13 replies

Jun 23, 2013 1:44 PM in response to michagoldfine

I'm confused why you didn't just say that then. Anyways, the system mouse preferences are working fine, they just don't give the option to turn off horizontal scrolling. I don't own a Magic Mouse myself, but under "Point & Click" see if there is an option to change the scrolling style to "Vertical and Horizontal". That will at least prevent you from suddenly switcing to horizontal scrolling in the middle of a finger movement.

Alternatively, use this command in Terminal (use at your own risk):

defaults write com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothMultitouch.mouse MouseHorizontalScroll -bool false

Jun 23, 2013 4:23 PM in response to ffiti

Thanks for your help ffiti

I think I was clear in my original post

"Any ideas how to stop horizontal swapping?"

I thought that if a user deselects the swapping option then it should stop that gesture. see my earlier screen shot. but it doesn't!

I prefer not to use the command line. for now I found an app that will do what I need. This is mostly on Adobe applications where mouse sensitivity is crucial for quick workflow and precision.

Cheers

Sep 10, 2013 11:00 AM in response to michagoldfine

I'm frustrated. On previous OS versions, I've succesfuly ran:

defaults write com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothMultitouch.mouse MouseHorizontalScroll -bool NO and it worked so slick, now it does not work in 10.8

Tried switching NO to false, still no luck.

Is there another command line option to use in 10.8?

I even downloaded the BTT, but for whatever reason can not get it disable horizontal scrolling? I added a Single Finger Swipe Left and Single Finger Swip Right with "no action" but didn't make a difference, what did I do wrong?

I'm also not crazy about having to run BTT all the time, taking up precious resources, does it always have to be running to work?

Sep 10, 2013 4:34 PM in response to EEaston

Yes, you need to use BTT all the time. I simply decided not to use the Magic Mouse. If disabling such a simple gesture doesn't work and never did then someone in Apple simply put it as the last priority to fix. How many people actually know they can change the Magic Mouse preferences? probably a tiny percentage.

I guess Apple are to concern about there iOS devices to keep the big bucks coming in.

Cheers

disable mouse swap

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.