Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What happens to Win 7 if I upgrade to Mavericks

Even though it isn't supported I am running an early 2009 iMac with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. Took a lot of help from others and tips at other sites to get past Bootcamp 5's roadblock that wouldn't allow me to load the 64 bit version of Win 7 Pro. Bottom line it has been working fine and all is well. Since this is my first experience with Bootcamp and running Windows on a Mac, I've now wondered what will happen if I decide to upgrade with Mavericks? I'm not planning on any changes to the partition sizes for Bootcamp, so I'm curious as to whether I'm going to be stepping into unchartered territory. I'm sure others have made this step going from an older release of OSX, but since I'm running something that Apple says isn't supported, I'm assumming that they could make changes in what will probably become Bootcamp 6 and all **** will break loose.

FYI, I'm just running Win 7 for gaming purposes since my old Dell is on death's door. I brought over my Sims2, Railroad Tycoon, and just bought the new Sim City, all of which are running just fine.

Jack

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8), Win 7 Pro 64 bit

Posted on Jun 16, 2013 10:39 PM

6 replies

Jun 17, 2013 9:43 AM in response to jpcanavera

I guess the question was aimed to the fact that since Bootcamp stopped me from trying to load Win7 64 bit version and I had to work around this forced limitation, my concern was whether there might be additional changes that might negatively affect my ability to boot Win 7, or an inability to load new drivers for Win 7 that may be part of Mavericks.

Probably the best course of action might be to stand aside when Mavericks comes out and see if others who are running the 64 bit version of Win7 against Apple's stance on our particular Macs, show any ill effects.

Jack

Nov 23, 2013 6:42 AM in response to jpcanavera

Just as an update, I did upgrade to Mavericks and have found no problems with Boot Camp. I'm not sure with ryguyt why there is problems, my version of Win 7 Pro continues to boot up and operate just fine. I didn't change any of the Win 7/Mac drivers which may be the reason why things went well. Again note that I'm running the 64 bit version and didn't install the Mavericks version of Bootcamp which all may be factors in my specific situation.

Jack

What happens to Win 7 if I upgrade to Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.