Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the best 802.11ac adapter/dongle for the new iMac?

Hi,

I have bought one of the new Time Capsules, which support 802.11ac. As I understand it the 2013 iMacs don't support 802.11ac, but I could get an 802.11ac USB dongle/adapter to use with the iMac. I'm not sure which would be the best to get though, and would be grateful for some advice.

Thanks,

Nick

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM

Posted on Jun 17, 2013 5:14 AM

24 replies

Jun 17, 2013 1:43 PM in response to nick_harambee

I'm not sure there are any Mac-compatible 802.11ac adapters; at least I haven't found one yet. All the units I've found say that they support Windows systems only.

Since, though, the Apple TV is still going to be on the slower wireless, getting an adapter for your Mac wouldn't help streaming between the Mac and the Apple TV. You may need to connect one or both devices to your AirPort via Ethernet if the current wireless isn't sufficient for you. If you're experiencing problems, you may want to investigate your wireless network. I'm using an older AirPort Extreme with an Apple TV and an iMac and haven't had any problems.

Regards.

Jun 17, 2013 1:49 PM in response to varjak paw

Thanks. The Apple TV is connected via ethernet to the TC, so I thought that improving the wireless connection between the iMac and the TC would help with streaming large HD videos from the iMac to the Apple TV. The guy in the Apple store said that there was a Mac-compatible 802.11ac adapter - he claimed he had bought one for his iMac, but I too haven't found one that states Mac compatibility yet.

Jul 10, 2013 1:12 AM in response to farrago

farrago, it's important to note, that dlink adaptor you mentioned is only usb 2.0. That means it can only transfer at 480mbps top speed. This adaptor will not provide the benifit in which he seeks given Apple's implementation of 802.11ac is 1.3gbps. Here are some of the things you'll want to look for in an adaptor:

Is it multistream?

How many streams does it support?

Is it dual band?

What interface does it use to connect to the computer? USB3?

Lastly, the one issue you addressed, does it have an OSX driver?

Jul 10, 2013 2:54 PM in response to dwb

The apple tv portion of this question is a red herring. 1080p in mpeg4 only uses 3-4mbps and will offer no improvement by increasing throughput. Nick, what is the actual problem you're trying to solve? Are you getting jitter or latency on your network? Throughput and latency are totally different problems. I think the thing we're suffering here from is someone who is trying to answer questions about their perceived answer to their problem rather then dealing with the problem itself.

Jul 12, 2013 7:33 AM in response to Sgeine

farrago, it's important to note, that dlink adaptor you mentioned is only usb 2.0. That means it can only transfer at 480mbps top speed. This adaptor will not provide the benifit in which he seeks given Apple's implementation of 802.11ac is 1.3gbps.

Sounds like you know quite a bit more about it than I do. I purchased the dLink version (with the mac driver) it has its own connection software that lets you turn on the device and control some of its setting. According to it, I'm getting 867 Mbps. That is almost two times faster than the 480mbps that you say I'll be limited to. I need the speed when accessing local files on drives connected to our router.

Jul 12, 2013 11:47 AM in response to farrago

Farrago, from a wifi perspective your link may very well support 867mbps. However, when connected to a 480mbps bus it's rather irrelevant 😉 If dlink was being honest with their software they would report the throughput possible given the full datapath. They clearly didn't in this case. This is really a rabbit trail, however. Still have no idea what Nick's actual problem is.

Jul 15, 2013 7:35 PM in response to bubzz

bubzz that's great but I'm still not clear on what problem Nick is tying to solve here. Nick, what exactly are you trying to accomplish and what are the limitation you believe you're hitting. If what you're doing is using your mac as a relay for playback from network attached storage to your appletv your issue isn't your bandwidth. Again, the required bandwidth is about 4mbps. A decade old 802.11a can accommodate that stream. If you're getting choppy performance you're running into other issues that have nothing to do with your connectivity.

Namely, the seek/read limitations of your time capsule. Apple doesn't use high end drives by any means and we have no idea how much ram is used as a buffer for reads on the time capsule. My guess is the time capsule is nowhere near the 192gigs of ram you'd find on a NetApp filer or multiple drive spindles to distribute the reads/writes across, for example, that I use in my data centre. The other bottle neck is your computer which has to decode/encode and retransmit all this data. The bottom line is you're wasting your time/money down this connectivity rabbit trail. the time capsule isn't built for what you're trying to accomplish.

What is the best 802.11ac adapter/dongle for the new iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.