Could be many things, we should start with this...
"Try Disk Utility
1. Insert the Mac OS X Install disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.
2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu at the top of the screen. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)
Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.
3. Click the First Aid tab.
4. Select your Mac OS X volume.
5. Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk."
Then try a Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, reboot when it completes.
(Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive.)
Did this EdiMax say it had Mac Drivers at all, many don't, & I don't think I've seen any with PPC support yet...
Here's one with PPC support for 10.5...
Here's one for PPC * 10.4 & up...
* Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 (867MHz or faster) processor
minimum system requirements
* 512MB of memory (I say 1.5GB for PPC at least, 2-3GB minimum for IntelMacs)
* DVD drive for installation
* 9GB of available disk space (I say 30GB at least)
Classic/OS9 Apps no longer supported.
May be available from Apple again...
Trouble is Apple no longer sells it, check eBay & such for the Retail version, not the Gray Discs...
Bummer, I received the machine without the disc for OS X. Thanks for checking on the PPC support. OWC sells the Edimax so let me see if they say it has PPC support. Strangely enough the Edimax website shows my OS version but I guess that is no guarantee of working.
Thanks for the help so far, at least I am pointing the right direction versus wondering int he wilderness!
Update, after accidentally deleting Safari I was able to get in contact with the folks at Edimax. They claim the download they sent me should work. But, I seem to either be Mac daft and unable to load the software. I get .pkg files which I evidently have no way to open and/or I do not know how to do it. I did open the packages and did not see an executable. Am I off my game here? I still have a lot to learn about how OS X works so I will admit stupidity for my transgressions....
It's not there. Getting really frustrated. I have experienced a bunch of odd things with this unit such as the "more info" button in the about this mac box is not working and now what appears to be some files and applications not there. Since this is an old PPC I wonder if I should try and find another OS X version and clean it and start over. I hate giving up my Office for Mac I got with it, but I would prefer a fully functional machine. I have an other issue it reads 512 in memory when there is a 1G stick in there.
- Thanks for any help!