Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Liquid damage on keyboard

So a few days ago a few keys on my Macbook Pro 13 unibody stopped working. Apparently water damage happened. After showing it to some people, I was told that I might have to replace a few other components in the computer due to the water. Is there any chance that the water can dry out at this stage? Like from opening it up and leaving it out or something?

MacBook Pro, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Jun 17, 2013 6:28 AM

7 replies

Jun 17, 2013 8:10 AM in response to LoneCre

CT's first response:

It's possible, but don't get your hopes too high. Even if it works, something will fail eventually.

fits the history I've seen here over about 12 years. Yes it may work but there are a very large sample size of users for whom it did not. The entire computer could give up down the road.

Your best action is to put your homeowners'/renters' insurance carrier on notice that there has been an accident. This is usually the only financial resource to recover from a spill--too many prove fatal.

If you want to dry the computer, this is a good time of year. However, DO NOT pour uncooked rice all over it. The dust that covers the rice grains gets everywhere and, if it encounters moisture, inconveniently turns into a fairly effective glue. A sunny windowsill works, but avoid ovens and hair dryers--they can generate a logic board-frying amount of heat.

Jun 17, 2013 8:22 AM in response to LoneCre

If you spilled water on your computer, it could have worked its way in anywhere, not just on the keyboard. By then running the computer while wet, some components have probably shorted out and will need to be replaced. It's impossible to predict right now what may ultimately fail as a result. Depending on what was spilled and what was damaged, you could have all kinds of issues that pop up in the next few days, weeks or months.

Although it would definitely be a good idea to shut off the computer and let the liquid dry before using it any further, that's a bit like closing the door after the horses have already left the barn. You'll prevent further damage from occurring (assuming the liquid wasn't something sticky that could continue to cause shorts, even after drying), but that won't do anything to fix damage that has already been done.

Liquid damage on keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.