Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook wont join existing WiFi network??

My MacBook wont join an existing, working WiFi network - I keep getting "timeout" errors even though I am entering the correct WPA - can anybody please help me figure out why??

thank you

Posted on Jun 17, 2013 7:43 AM

2 replies

Jun 17, 2013 5:15 PM in response to APZ

First contact your ISP. You need to confirm that the issue is not on their end.

Change your router channel. Sometimes this is all you will have to do.

Power cycling the router. Read the router's user manual or contact their tech support for instructions.

System Preferences/Internet & Network/Network

Unlock the padlock

Locations: Automatic

Highlight Airport

Click the Assist Me button

In the popup window click the Diagnostic button.

System Preferences/Network- Unlock padlock. Highlight Airport. Network Name-select your name. Click on the Advanced button. Airport/Preferred Networks-delete all that is not your network.

Place a check mark next to "Remember networks this computer has joined." Click the OK button and lock the padlock. Restart your computer.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1920 Mac OS: How to release and renew a DHCP lease

No internet connection (wireless)

Check to see if an extra entry is present in the DNS Tab for your wireless connection (System Preferences/Network/Airport/Advanced/DNS).

Delete all extra entries that you find.

Place a check mark next to "Remember networks this computer has joined."

Other resources to check into:

Troubleshooting Wi-Fi issues in OS X Lion and Mac OS X v10.6

Non-responsive DNS server or invalid DNS configuration can cause long delay before webpages load

Netspot

How to diagnose and resolve Wi-Fi slow-downs

Pv6 troubleshooting

Mac OS X 10.6 Help: Solving problems with connecting to the Internet

What Affects Wireless Internet?

Solutions for connecting to the Internet, setting up a small network, and troubleshooting

If using one of Apple's Airport routers, read its user manual or post in its forum area. If using a 3rd party router, read its user manual, contact their tech support department/website or post in its forum area. Another possible solution - read mammothsuziq response https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4096745?answerId=22082360022#22082360022

User uploaded file

Jun 18, 2013 3:33 AM in response to APZ

Hi, I have this problem too and Ive tried all of the solutions out there on the web.

I have a mac pro connected and also a pc connected with no problems

Reset PRam,

Reset SMC

Deleted airport connection and re installed it

Deleted all of the DNS numbers (not that I know what they are) in network/advanced etc

Had the airport section of systempreferences/network say everything from "on" but no green light to "no ip adress" etc etc

Restarted the macbook many many.........many times

Restarted the router an equal amount to the restarts ive done

Obviously ive gone round the bend putting the password in approximately 1.2 million times just in case my eyes were deceiing me on the screen and my fat fingers had typed in incorrectly etc etc etc etc.

Please help if anybody can as this seems to be a huge problem and no one has a difinitive solution as some things ahve worked for some people and not others......unfortunately nothing has worked for me.......

Help will be greatly appreciated and a pack of chocolate chip cookies to whoever can solve this beast of a problem.

Many thanks......

MacBook wont join existing WiFi network??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.