7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 17, 2013 6:16 PM by ckuan
Rob de Jonge Level 3 (510 points)

Last year: lost MacBook Air, bought new one.

Now: wondering how I can get some different albums on it.

Limitation: iTunes Match is not a possibility for me, unfortunately.

So, I think ... 

• In iTunes, I click 'Back Up Now'
  • I then do the "this iphone will be erased if you go ahead and link it with this new computer" thing
  • In iTunes, I click 'Restore Backup'

And that means I will lose all music, POSSIBLY all photos.

That's ok. I have my photos in Aperture. And music in iTunes.

Right?

iPhone 4S, iOS 6, 32GB
  • Rob de Jonge Level 3 (510 points)

It has helped, and I've achieved my goal. But the process description on that page is rather outdated. Thanks for the link though!

• ckuan Level 7 (29,573 points)

Outdated in what way?

Hi,

The first bit of the article is not relevant for me. I had a backup of my entire iTunes library, so there was no need to pull stuff off my iPhone and back into the library.

The second bit, the numbered steps, are not for the latest version of iTunes. Knowing these steps was helpful, but a novice would not be able to follow each step and iTunes certainly threw a few curve balls in my case. Those were specific to my situation, but no mention of it in the process steps was confusing. One example was that it seems iTunes can only restore if your phone is less than half full. Why? It seems to restore the move the entire backup archive file to the phone, and then let the phone deal with the restoring part. I never knew this. A novice certainly won't and will wonder what is happening. Also, I was never prompted to create another backup. And then when I hit step 9, iTunes still complained about 'the phone is linked to another computer, proceeding now means you lose stuff'. This was unexpected, but it was late and I decided to have faith and click 'Proceed'.

It's especially that last bit that made me wonder if perhaps the 're-linking' process has drastically improved in iTunes 11. Could it be possible that iTunes is now smart enough to ONLY delete iTunes content when linking a phone with another computer? Something to try out and confirm when I buy my next iPhone, I guess. The steps I took certainly suggest it.

Hope that helps someone.

cheers,

Rob

The tips was written by wjosten 7 months ago so yeah, there bound to not cover all use cases and changes.

I wasn't knocking it. The description was helpful in achieving my goal. My phone is now linked to my new MacBook Air and I can put some different albums on it! Yay!

Glad it did helped, enjoy.