Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to use 3 wired airport express

I am trying to extend wireless to all my house. I have a router/firewall that will do all the routing. I have bought 3 airport expresses and wanted them to be hooked up to my network via ehternet for best performance. The first two work as described but when I plug the 3rd one in via ethernet, Airport Utility asks to extend the existing wireless network. But after a few minutes it brings down the entire network wired and wireless. But when I disconnect the ethernet cable from the 3rd one it works just fine. But of coures the performance is no were near as good with out the ethernet connection. Basically I am trying to eliminate deadspots in the house with there expresses but cannot get the 3rd one to connect via ehternet.

Thanks in advance

Airport Express-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Jun 17, 2013 8:40 AM

1 reply

Jun 17, 2013 9:31 AM in response to zorba15

What you are describing is called a roaming network. Please check out the following Apple Support article for more details on how to configure this type of network with multiple routers.

The keys to successfully setting one of these up are:

• The "main" router, the one that is directly connected to an Intenet modem, is configured with NAT & DHCP services enabled.
  • All other routers must be connected back to this main router by Ethernet.
  • All other routers must be reconfigured as bridges (NAT & DHCP disabled).
  • Each extending router should have a unique Base Station Name.
  • Each extending router should have the same Network Name (aka SSID), Security Type (WPA, WPA2, etc.) and Password as the main router's wireless network.
  • Each extending router should be on a different radio channel, especially if they are close to each other.

how to use 3 wired airport express

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.