Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OSX installation fails on slot loading iMac G3 with firmware update

I can try to install OSX and I have a failure on step six ( I think this is where the applications are installed). The installation never asks for disk #2. The disks are clean and pristine. I have tried to install 10.2 and 10.3 from the original disks and both have failed. I have formated and initialized the hard disk. I have made an 10GB first partition (although I don't think that matters with this model.). Everytime I have a failure. I have checked the hard drive with Disk Warrior and Norton Tools. No luck. Why would this fail at the same place with two different OSX installations?

Thanks

iMac G3 400mHz slot loading, Mac OS X (10.3.9), 120GB hard drive 512mb RAM

Posted on Jun 6, 2006 5:21 AM

7 replies

Jun 7, 2006 2:13 PM in response to John Mosby

Hello and Welcome to Apple Discussions.

I had a similar thing happen to me on my iMac G4 trying to install 10.3/10.4. Eventually I found that as I'd had a Kernel Panic (duff RAM) during the first install attempt I have to zero the hard disk and then attempt the install again. This cleared any corrupt data on the drive that I assumed was interfering with the subsequent installs. When you boot from the 10.3 disk choose Disk Utility from the menu then zero all data, set-up your partitions and re-attempt the install.

Two further points:

• Never use Norton on an OS X computer this will cause you nothing but trouble. (Search these forums for the word poison!)
  • I assume these are black and not grey OS X install disks?

mrtotes

Jun 21, 2006 7:43 AM in response to John Mosby

John Mosby:
"I have formated and initialized the hard disk. I have made a 10GB first partition (although I don't think that matters with this model)."

Yes, I do believe it does matter. Try partitioning your disk so it has two or more partitions, with the partition that you are going to install the system on in the first 8GB of the disk. That should help.

OSX installation fails on slot loading iMac G3 with firmware update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.