Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stop Mail from Syncing GMail 'Spam' Folder

How do I prevent the Mail application from syncing the 'Spam' folder from my GMail account?

Don't want these spam messages being downloaded onto my new MacBook Air!

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jun 17, 2013 1:11 PM

11 replies

Apr 15, 2014 11:55 AM in response to wampoma

Send Apple feedback. They won't answer, but at least will know there is a problem. If enough people send feedback, it may get the problem solved sooner.

Mail/Provide Mail Feedback

You might want to consider starting a new discussion. Since this one is marked solved, less people are likely to look at it. You can link to this one.

Feb 23, 2016 10:43 AM in response to TomEC3

I followed the instructions but my virus scanner was still finding viruses in the SPAM folder. So I took the following additional steps:

• Mail > Preferences > Accounts > uncheck Enable This Account
  • Finder > Hard Drive > Users > [my user name] > Library > Mail > V2 > [each IMAP.gmail account folder] > [Gmail].inbox > spam.mbox folder: deleted it. Emptied trash.
  • Quit and re-launched mail.
  • Enabled the account in Mail again.
  • (I also pondered actually deleting the account from Mail altogether, and then re-adding it; that also would probably do it).

When Mail syncs, now I don't see any SPAM folder syncing activity, and the SPAM.mbox folder has not reappeared in Finder. So I think this finally did the trick.

Feb 23, 2016 11:06 AM in response to datico

Correction! I had been watching the folder on my backup drive so when I realized it and tried it on my regular hard drive, the SPAM folder was recreated.

So I tried again with the delete-account idea:

• Quit Mail.
  • System Preferences > Internet Accounts
  • Select my gmail account, and click the minus button. I answered to remove it not from all computers but just this one.
  • Finder > Hard Drive > Users > [my user name] > Library > Mail > V2 > IMAP-[username]@imap.gmail.com folder: deleted it and emptied the trash.
  • Enabled the account again in Sys Prefs > Internet Accounts (select it, then check the box for syncing Mail on the right).
  • Re-launched Mail.

When Mail synced this time, it recreated the @imap.gmail.com folder and its subfolders; except for the SPAM folder. So turning off the account and deleting the @imap.gmail.com folder I presume removed some cached info that was causing it to still remember and sync (and recreate) the SPAM folder on previous attempts.

Apr 18, 2016 10:02 AM in response to datico

You can actually just get away with unchecking "mail" from the sync list. Bit less intrusive.

I also found the path you gave to vary slightly - ~/Library/Mail/V3/random-guid-id/[Gmail].mbox/Spam.mbox - still eminently discoverable, however. This was on El Capitain, and I realise this was on the ML forum...

Another fun gotcha - my Mac was able to sync IMAP despite IMAP being disabled on my gmail account. I had to enable IMAP in order to see the "hide" checkboxes, and uncheck "Spam". I am now contemplating disabling it again, just for fun.

Now for a life with 99% less grinching from Sophos 😀

Stop Mail from Syncing GMail 'Spam' Folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.