Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do any third party iPhone headset mics work on the 2013 MacBook Air?

I see a number of web pages hinting that iPhone-compatible "3-button" headsets should work with the MacBook air, and let you speak using the mic. However, I'm finding that this is not the case. When I plug in the Apple default headset that came with my iPhone 4S, it works fine: both the headphones and mic work, along with the volume buttons and mic.

However, I've tried several third-party three-button headsets that work fine with my iPhone. With these, the headphones (sound out) and the three buttons (volume and play/pause) all work fine. However, no sound through the mic. The system switches to "External mic" in the sound settings, as if it recognized that there was a mic, but no sound, no matter how high I turn up the gain.

I've tried this with:

Klipsch S4i (iPhone headset)

Etymotics ER7-MC3-BLACK-I-A MC3 (In-Ear Headset and Earphones for iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch)

House of Marley EM-JE003-FI (In-Ear Headphones with Apple Three-Button Controller)

Curiously, one headset that *does* seem to feed sound to the MBA is the Plantronics MX505 ("WindSmart Boom Headset for iPhone 3G 3Gs & 4"). This one also works on the iPhone, but it's not a 3-button headset.

The standard issue Apple ones that came with 4S are murder on the ears, and so are the new ones that come with the iPhone 5. Has anyone had luck with the mic on any other headsets? I'm mystified about what spec I should be looking for to know that it will work.

Thanks,

--Adam

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jun 17, 2013 12:58 PM

9 replies

Jul 21, 2013 7:57 PM in response to PlotinusVeritas

Thanks for the info—but my question was actually about headset mics, not USB mics. In theory, various bits of documentation suggest that three-ring iPhone-compatible headsets should work, so that the earphones, the mic, and the volume buttons all work. However, most of the headsets that I've tried with my 2013 MacBook Air are only partially functional: the headphones work, along with the volume controls and start/stop, but not the mic. The only third part headset that I've gotten the mic to work with, oddly, is a two-ring Plantronics non-iPhone headset, which has no volume controls and no buttons at all. I'm hoping that it is indeed just a software issue, but I guess Apple doesn't have a lot of incentive to fix things so that third party headsets work better with the new laptops!

Jul 23, 2013 6:22 PM in response to Adam Albright

I can (unfortunately) report that my brand new 2013 Air are also only partly functional - audio and control functions all work, but the mic is extremely soft (it does report as 'working' when doing a sound test, but sound level is so low - 1 bar - whereas the external mic would be reporting full volume.)

Headsets that I own and have tried:

House of Marley EXODUS

Audio Technica ATH-CKS55i

Both exhibit the same issue. The man at the apple service center also tried his own headset (not sure of the model) but it didn't work either. All of these are the three-ring iphone compatible headsets which also worked fine on my 2011 MacBook Air

Do any third party iPhone headset mics work on the 2013 MacBook Air?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.