8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 5, 2014 8:55 PM by emiko-219
sajam Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Ive had this problem for years and just started using another browser when I had to print any PDF FIles.

While I can open and read them while in Safari, whenever I try to print all I get is a blank page.  Thats all that shows up in the print preview screen.  But if I use another browser like Chrome, it prints with no problems.

(Ive also never been able to get the Coupons.com application to work on this Mac regardless of the browser.  The company says it works on a Mac, but never can get anything to print)

Anyway, my question is about the PDF on Safari.  Its not big deal as I use other browsers but it is annoying.  I cant imagine that Safari prevents PDF printing.  I am using Lion

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)
  • Linc Davis Level 10 Level 10 (164,325 points)

Back up all data.

Triple-click the line of text below to select it, the copy the selected text to the Clipboard (command-C):

/Library/Internet Plug-ins

In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder

from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-G. Paste into the text box that opens (command-V), then press return.

From the folder that opens, remove any items that have the letters “PDF” in the name. You may be prompted for your login password. Then quit and relaunch Safari, and test.

The "Silverlight" web plugin distributed by Microsoft can also interfere with PDF display in Safari, so you may need to remove it as well, if it's present.

If you still have the issue, repeat with this line:

~/Library/Internet Plug-ins

If you don’t like the results of this procedure, restore the items from the backup you made before you started. Relaunch Safari again.

• sajam Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks for your reply.  I havent tried this yet, but is this standard to print from Safari?  Sounds like a whole lot of work when I can open Chrome or Firefox, press one button and be done.

• Linc Davis Level 10 Level 10 (164,325 points)

It's only necessary if you installed Adobe Acrobat or Reader.

• AMBER93 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Link... question on a parallel aspect of Safari... I use 10.4.11 on a MacMini and am considering upgrading ONLY for the benefit of Safari and Firefox as in both browsers; there are now web pages of companies where we purchase supplements have difficulty with that older version.

Any comments about 10.5 or 10.6 as to upgrading for that purpose. I really do NOT want to have to upgrade the other soft ware that I use.

Comments?

• budsimrin Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

Thank you, Linc. This solved the problem for me, at least for the current web site I was struggling with. Removing the Adobe plugins was the key for me.

• Tobin Anthony Level 1 Level 1 (90 points)

I have been having this problem for years - being able to see PDFs in Safari but never being able to print them.

I followed Linc's directions but I did not have any plug-in that contained the phrase PDF in its title. I did have some older WebEx and Evernote plug-ins.  Basically, I trashed every plug-in that was more than 2 years old.

I restarted Safari and things worked fine.  Thanks, Linc, for the inspiration to trash some of my older plug-ins.

• DragonWarrior3 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks Linc!  Solved this headache I've had for quite some time.

• emiko-219 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks! This problem has been driving me nuts me all year.

The plugins I deleted were AdobePDFViewer and AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.