Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages Attachment File Size

Is there a size limit for Messages attachments? I tried sending a video file, large, and it appeared that the message was accepted by Messages but the file did not go to the addressee and there was no notice to me that the attachment was too big.

Andy

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jun 17, 2013 4:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2013 4:26 PM

This may depend on your ISP, but that for iCloud is 20MB.

5 replies

Jun 18, 2013 12:49 PM in response to AndyGump

Hi,

I have not found a limit for a size of file in Chat or Messages when using the AIM Service.

Jabber accounts can vary as in some cases and third party app is needed to "turn on" File Sharing services which can be listed as a separate service.

I have not tested specifically with iMessages.

As the iMessages servers are separate from the iCloud ones I not sure any iCloud email limit is going to apply.

(Messages on the iPhone and the Mac obviously makes use of Contacts and these can be synced via iCloud and possibly your Apple ID in Messages is an iCloud one but that is as close as it gets.)

There maybe limits when the Contact is not on a wifi network and is receiving data via their Service Providers Data contract (as in when it converts to SMS)

User uploaded file
8:49 PM Tuesday; June 18, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.4)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Messages Attachment File Size

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.