Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac G5 won't recognize new HDD restored from TM

Hi All -

Close to the finish line but can't cut through the ribbon -

Received the gray screen with kernel panic dump - concluded HDD failure (no rotation).

Installed new HDD (2TB) and restored from TimeMachine (nice!).

iMac would not recognize the HDD at boot - so I have been trying everything I can find in the discussions:

Reset PRAM, Reset-all

New PRAM battery

Apple Hardware Test passes OK

Disk Utility sees new HDD and formats/partitions OK (HFS Journaled)

Power supply caps look good (main power supply was also rebuilt last month)

Tried DiskWarrior - but it only gets so far before the grey screen and kernel panic (where this all began).

With DiskUtility, I can see contents of the new HDD as restored by TM - just can't boot from it.

Disk Utility was able to verify Disk - OK.

I've run out of things to try -

Looking for suggestions.

iMac G5 iPod mini iMac G3DV, Mac OS X (10.4)

Posted on Jun 17, 2013 5:59 PM

4 replies

Jun 18, 2013 7:25 PM in response to a brody

I belive it was running 10.5.8 (my footer is out of date). I would have upgraded further if not for the PPC limitation.

I did use the original disk that came with the computer for the restore activity (which basically copied the TM to teh new internal HDD).

Since the original disk (10.4) did not support TM, could that be the root of the disconnect? If so, do I need to repeat the recovery with the 10.5 install disk?

Jun 19, 2013 7:25 PM in response to John N.

I repeated the restore - this time booting from the 10.5 disk. When the TM drive showed up, it appeared with the TM icon and offered a restore from TM. I let it proceed and restarted - voila, booted from the restored image on the new internal HDD, everything back to normal. Nice nice.

Mystery solved; must restore TM using 10.5 (10.4 will not work).

Thanks for the important clue.

iMac G5 won't recognize new HDD restored from TM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.