Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

applications crashing after 10.8.4 update

I've had multiple applications crashing either immediately on opening or within a few seconds. Apps include Mail, Safari, Chrome, Numbers, Pages and others. This seems to coincide roughly with updating to 10.8.4.

I've restored from Time Machine Backups 3 times, re-installed Mountain Lion (and 10.8.4) from scratch at least once, ran Disk Repair and Repair Permissions from the recovory parition multiple times. After a restore or re-install, the problem appears to go away for couple of days but then rears it's head again. I've ran a full scan of the HD using Drive Genius and it seems fine (hard drive is not original, 750 GB Seagate Momentus XT, the "hybrid" version). I've also downloaded the free version of Norton AV and scans fine as well.

I have and use Drive Genius but I've no way to test hardware such as RAM and such. Just wondering if there's any *free* hardware utilities that can fully test the CPU, RAM, etc. Need to get to the bottom of this....this 13" MacBook Pro is not even a year old. Needing to know if I've got a failing HD or if it goes deeper than that.

Terry

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), 16 GB RAM

Posted on Jun 17, 2013 5:43 PM

5 replies

Jun 17, 2013 6:45 PM in response to tlwyse

I've also downloaded the free version of Norton AV and scans fine as well.

Therein lies the problem.

Uninstall Norton > Download and run the Norton Removal Tool to uninstall your Norton product

Then restart your Mac.

If you want to have anti virus software instaled, use the link for ClamXav from the user tip link below.

Norton / Symantec software has caused many problems for Mac users.

User tip for viruses, trojans, and malware > Viruses, Trojans, Malware - and other aspects of Internet Security: Apple Support Communities

You'll see: "Do not install Norton Anti-Virus on a Mac as it can seriously damage your operating system. Norton Anti-Virus is not compatible with Apple OS X."

Jun 17, 2013 8:19 PM in response to tlwyse

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.
The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, or by a peripheral device.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards. Boot in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. Note: If FileVault is enabled, or if a firmware password is set, or if the boot volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, and some things won’t work at all, including Wi-Fi on certain iMacs. The next normal boot may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, reboot as usual (i.e., not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

Jun 17, 2013 9:03 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc, I'll try this and report back. Of course, at the moment it seems to be behaving OK.

One thing that seems to coincide with this issue is when I have my chain of external FW800 drives attached (4 WD drives + CD/DVD burner). Of course, 2 of those external drives are my TM backups so I don't like leaving then unattached for very long.

terry

applications crashing after 10.8.4 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.