Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring System Onto New Harddrive - User Folder Not Able To Transfer

I recently purchased a larger - 1TB Harddrive - upgraded from 500GB. I made a complete Time Machine backup, onto my 2TB Time Capsule before i pulled out the old drive and put the new one in. I am currently running OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, so without having installation discs, i of course went the route of putting the initial gray disc that came with my MacBook Pro to format my drive, and install a clean copy of 10.5 Leopard, then upgraded to 10.6 Snow Leopard so i had the App Store to download 10.8 Mountain Lion.

Throughout the course of this - as soon as i installed Leopard - it asked me if i wanted to restore my system from backup, and i waited on that because i had Leopard installed....so when i tried to run Migration Assistant after i got Mountain Lion installed - it would run for 3-4 hours, and then finally come back with an error message after it looked as if it had copied everything - and it was always unable to transfer my User folder.

The User that i set up on my new drive was named something completely different than what it was on my original harddrive - so the error message isn't because it can't replace itself.

Any ideas? Thanks!!

- Jason

Time Capsule 2TB-OTHER

Posted on Jun 17, 2013 7:58 PM

There are no replies.

Restoring System Onto New Harddrive - User Folder Not Able To Transfer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.