Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does iTunes say my iPad is "over capacity" when it isn't?

Hi. I saw someone posted about there iPhone last night and added my question there, but since I've not had a response I will create a new question.

I went to sync my iPad yesterday and I got an error saying it was "over capacity." I checked online and saw many discussions about the Other folder (for lack of a better name), so checked the information on how to overcome this. None of the solutions helped so I did a Restore. The iPad set up again and I went to sync, but I get the same error. Not it claims I am 1.8 GB "over capacity." In reality, I am trying to sync about 7 GB of data on an iPad with over 13 GB of free space. I tried updating iTunes (done), checked for an update to the iPad (I have the latest version of the OS), and tried rebooting both the computer and the iPad. I still get the same error.

How can I get iTunes to sync my data?

Thanks for any assistance you can offer. Please don't refer me to this article:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1503

Those are the things I tried yesterday that didn't work. New ideas?

Thanks,

iPad, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jun 17, 2013 10:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2013 10:54 PM

Well, the TS1503 article will start you on your way, but it sounds like you'll need a detour toward the end:

Try the restore as you did yesterday, but this time, do a "Restore as New" instead of restoring from your backup. Then you will have to manually sync the items you want to keep.

Be advised that you likely have one or more corrupt apps, so when deciding what to keep from your old sync, be discreet.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 17, 2013 10:54 PM in response to patrick160356

Well, the TS1503 article will start you on your way, but it sounds like you'll need a detour toward the end:

Try the restore as you did yesterday, but this time, do a "Restore as New" instead of restoring from your backup. Then you will have to manually sync the items you want to keep.

Be advised that you likely have one or more corrupt apps, so when deciding what to keep from your old sync, be discreet.

Jun 19, 2013 3:48 AM in response to sberman

Okay, I have done another "Restore as New" and the ONLY thing I am trying to do is install my Books. I click to Sync All and I get the error. The iPad is completely empty and I only have 7 GB of books to install, but it claims I am more than 1.5 GB "over capacity."

I am going through an installing 15 books at a time (the maximum amount that show on the "select individual books" frame), but it's going to take me forever.

I was seriously thinking of buying a Mac to replace my old computer, but after this experience (and the general dreadfulness of iTunes) I am having second thoughts on that.

Jun 19, 2013 3:56 AM in response to patrick160356

This entire mess started because the "Other" folder (or whatever it is) on the iPad started to fill up. I have just done the "Restore as New" and have added fewer than 100 books and half a dozen Apps. Already there are 281 MB in the Other folder! What is this, why does it seem to grow exponentially (I only have 650 MB of Apps and Books on here - so that's about 40% "Other" junk!), and how can you reduce (or, better yet, eliminate this)?

Now seriously thinking about buying a Kindle.

Jun 20, 2013 9:44 PM in response to sberman

Sure, I have no problem with some "other" showing, but 281 MB on a virtually empty iPad seems excessive. As I said, I did a full "restore" and began adding things slowly. I have less than 1 GB of apps and books on it now and the "other" folder is the largest "folder" on the iPad. That just doesn't seem reasonable...actually, what isn't reasonable is that Apple doesn't have a clean-up function to get rid of the garbage that collects in this "folder."

I was thinking of upgrading to a new iPad, but I don't think I will now. There are lots of tablets out there today. I plan to read up on all of them and find something that is easy and convenient to upload and download from (no iTunes-like disasters to deal with), and one that allows me to clean it up when needed.

Mar 19, 2014 2:10 PM in response to patrick160356

Hello! I have had this issue and I could not clear it. I restored my ipad loads of times and it kept coming back. I think I have sorted it now. I restored my ipad. Then I put the apps I usually use on and sync it and thats when I got the over capacity. So I took all the app/music/movies back off. It took a little time to sync. again but it did it. I then added my apps page by page. One page, then sync, next page then sync, then put my music on, sync. Until I found the problem. Mine is my iphoto. I have took that off and its fine. Hope this helps.

Mar 19, 2014 3:00 PM in response to patrick160356

Are you sure it's not iCloud that's "over capacity".

How much space is used by your Other? You may be able to reduce.

How Do I Get Rid Of The “Other” Data Stored On My iPad Or iPhone?

http://tinyurl.com/85w6xwn

How to Remove “Other” Data from iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch

http://www.igeeksblog.com/how-to-remove-other-data-from-iphone/

With an iOS device, the “Other” space in iTunes is used to store things like documents, settings, caches, and a few other important items. If you sync lots of documents to apps like GoodReader, DropCopy, or anything else that reads external files, your storage use can skyrocket. With iOS 5/6/7, you can see exactly which applications are taking up the most space. Just head to Settings > General > Usage, and tap the button labeled Show All Apps. The storage section will show you the app and how much storage space it is taking up. Tap on the app name to get a description of the additional storage space being used by the app’s documents and data. You can remove the storage-hogging application and all of its data directly from this screen, or manually remove the data by opening the app. Some applications, especially those designed by Apple, will allow you to remove stored data by swiping from left to right on the item to reveal a Delete button.

What is “Other” and What Can I Do About It?

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-5142

iPhone or iPad Ran Out of Storage Space? Here’s How to Make Space Available Quickly

http://osxdaily.com/2012/06/02/iphone-ipad-ran-out-of-available-storage-space-ho w-to-fix-quick/

6 Tips to Free Up Tons of Storage Space on iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch

http://osxdaily.com/2012/04/24/6-tips-free-up-storage-space-ipad-iphone-ipod-tou ch/

Also,

How to Clear Message/iMessage Cache on iPhone & iPad And Reclaim Lots of Free Space

http://www.igeeksblog.com/how-to-clear-message-imessage-cache-on-iphone-ipad/

 Cheers, Tom 😉

Why does iTunes say my iPad is "over capacity" when it isn't?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.