After the last update, Aperture thinks I have a new program and keeps asking for the serial number. I've had the program for years, upgraded 2 to 3 with the disc upgrade, but I can't find the original disc or packaging, as I've moved twice since then.
You will need both serial numbers - the original version 2 number and the upgrade serial.
If you really cannot find your serial numbers contact Apple with a proof of purchase for a replacement serial number, see:
If I can find the receipts, I can probably find the serial number...so I'll keep looking.
I know, but that is Apple's official position. But how did you buy Aperture? Sometimes Apple Support can be talked into replacing the serial number, if you provide other kind of proof.
Did you make a full backup of your system before you updated? If you restore your full system to the state before the update (inclusing System Libraries and your user libraries) Aperture should be able to launch. Then you could write down the Aperture 3 Upgarde serial number from the "About" panel. (Aperture > About Aperture).
Well...good thing is Aperture is working again, but the bad thing is I'm not sure what happened so I can't offer advice to others having problems with the 3.4.5 update! I was moving things around, thinking I would delete the and reinstall Aperture, but then reconsidered and dragged it back from the trash. When I did I noticed that the directory information changed; so I tried reopening and the **** thing worked! I removed the duplicate the install applied and my datbases and all worked.
To answer about the back up, yes I have TimeMachine and I back up to a 1T WD external, but when I restored from a date prior to the update, nothing changed. I have never had to use Time Machine before so maybe there is more to a full restore. Either way, I just tinkered twiddle-and-run style till I fixed it myself. I know there are a variety of things that can go wrong, and I appreciate the advice, but it is frustrating when technology doesn't work and the Apple support doesn't really help.
So to recap; after the update error I tried:
-zapping the PRAM (or whatever they call it now)
-repairing permissions/directories with Utilities and TechTool repeatedly
-Time Machine restore to an earlier state
-ensured read/write permissions on the application
Nothing worked. Then when I moved the application to the trash and back, it worked.
Don't ask me how or why!
One other note that might be related. I remembered that iPhoto and Aperture share a common database now, so I used iPhoto to unload my camera. Perhaps that helped get the computer thinking straight again, but I believe I tried opening Aperture after downloading the photos and it didn't open. To be totally honest though, I was trying so many things and they all would take time to process, that it is starting to blur in my memory.
Anyway, it works now. This case is closed. Now, if I can fix why my Dock resets to default after every restart!!
( you can look for that thread if you have a suggestion!)