Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External FAT32 drive shows only root folders, can't access content on other macs. Fine on PC and Linux

I have a new Western Digital 1TB external HDD. It's formatted FAT32 because I use it as a media drive on a Linux system and also on a Windows machine.

When I cleaned it I did the format on my Mac (OSX 10.7.5) and I copied all my folders back onto the drive.

It reads fine on my Windows machine at home, and also on the Linux box, but on any other mac all the folders are visible, but greyed out. You can make new folders, copy files to the drive etc. But the original folders made on my mac aren't visible...

I thought it might be permission issues, but as far as I know FAT32 format doesn't have permissions? You don't have any options to change the permissions anyways.

I tried forcing it via Terminal with ( sudo chmod -R 777 /Volumes/HDD ) but still no change...

Can't find any more info online...

Should I re-format the drive? is there some small thing I'm missing? Thanks any help will be much appreciated!!

Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jun 18, 2013 1:03 AM

3 replies

Jun 18, 2013 1:57 AM in response to GerhardHuman

The files are greyed out in Finder when one of two things has occurred... firstly if OSX does not close the file open flag before you eject it will think from then on that the file is corrupt as it is a half finished transfer, secondly if the checksum is bad it will not open, and thirdly if the MBR or any of the maps are bad it will grey out everything... running a disk repair from disk utility should fix it.

If it does not, I would format it from Windows (they set the standard for FAT32 that everyone else follows), then copy it all over from Linux, as they most likely can read it from your backup, and have server grade integrity that I generally trust more than any other filesystem.

Finally, consider switching to ExFAT (FAT64). I find it lasts a LOT longer (better integrity checks) and does not have the obligatory 4GB limit.

Jun 18, 2013 2:16 AM in response to kaz-k

Hi Gen and Kaz, thanks for the replies! Cool FAT64 sounds good. Can I do that on my mac? I don't have enough HDD space on the Windows machine to transfer all the contents over to format.... and the LINUX machine runs off a small flash drive... (XBMC media centre)

KAZ: it's MBR

I just checked the drive on another Mac Pro here in the studio and it reads fine on there... could it be an issue with operating systems? the Mac that doesn't read the files is 10.7.4

Mine is 10.7.5 (just checked it on another 10.7.5 system and it reads) my mac at home that doesn't read is older (pre-snow leopard) but surely it should read FAT32!! unless it's an issue with USB3 or something....

External FAT32 drive shows only root folders, can't access content on other macs. Fine on PC and Linux

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.