Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Receving emails on IOS devices but not Mac

Hi

For the past week I have been receiving emails on my iphone and ipad but only sporadically on my Mac. This is because Mail can't connect to icloud. Connection doctor gives me the message 'could not connect to this iCloud server' and then asks me to check my settings etc. But they're perfectly fine and sometimes, out of the blue, it does connect. I've never had this problem before. I can log into iCloud perfectly well and see my mail that way. But obviously I want to have my desktop mail working properly. Anyone got any ideas?

thanks!

WG

MacBook (13-inch Aluminum Late 2008), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jun 18, 2013 3:11 AM

8 replies

Jun 18, 2013 5:46 AM in response to writergirl2

Thank you for letting me know that you can send.

You may be a bit optimistic about your network, but lets assume that you are correct. Here are incoming settings for icloud mail.

IMAP (Incoming Mail Server) information:

• Server name: imap.mail.me.com
  • SSL Required: Yes
  • Port: 993
  • Username: example@me.com (use your @me.com address from your iCloud account)
  • Password: Your iCloud password

As you can see your previous port number was correct. In that case I would suggest second step of troubleshooting that I provided previously. Unless you want to try to change port back to 993 and sever name from "p03-imap.mail.me.com" to the one I provided above.

Jun 18, 2013 6:29 AM in response to fromsouth

Thanks again!

I honestly don't think it's the network - It's my home network I've been using it for years with no problem. I'm a bit surprised at the p03-imap.mail.me.com because as far as I remember it was always just imap.mail.me.com - so I'm wondering if that was changed somehow - though how I don't know.

I changed back the port and was going to change the server but realise that it's greyed out and I can't. So it's looking as though I'll have to delete the account.

FYI (sorry, I should have provided all this info at the start) I have another account which forwards to my Mail account and that's picking up mail and forwarding it perfectly well.

WG

Jun 19, 2013 3:52 AM in response to writergirl2

Go to Internet settings and change your DNS server to Google DNS. What I suspect happens to you is:

You have set that account up a while ago, since then settings of server changed. You mail still seems to be able to renegotiate correct SMTP and sometimes can't. Deleting account would put correct settings in place, cause it will get new info during setup. But you seem to be reluctant to use that option. Google DNS will give a bit more juice to negotiating power. I may be wrong.

Receving emails on IOS devices but not Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.