Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview pdf files in Safari before potentially save them

In fact I have 2 questions:

when I do a web search if I click on a link to a pdf file, 2 things can randomly happen :

1 The pdf opens in a safari window and I can directly read it (that's what I want)

2 The pdf file is directly downloaded to my hard drive (and I may have to trash it if it turns out not to be as interesting as I thought)

My first question is: is there a way to always have the option 1 and never the second one?

Second question : Once (if) the pdf opens in a safari window, is there a way to DIRECTLY save it where I want? So far, the only way to do it I could find is from the safari pdf window, save the file to the "downloaded items" folder and then move it to the folder of interest. I can also from the safari pdf window open the file in preview and save the preview pdf document where I want.

In any case my 2 solutions appear complicated to me: is there a way to do that in a single step?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jun 18, 2013 5:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2013 6:10 AM

If the pdf displays in Safari, using File - Save as (Command S) should bring a save dialogue where you can change the name/location.

Some pdf files won't display directly in-browser from a web link, due to the server where they are not telling browsers the correct file type for that. If you can give examples of ones which download, we can check to see if the same thing happens.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 18, 2013 6:10 AM in response to lpays

If the pdf displays in Safari, using File - Save as (Command S) should bring a save dialogue where you can change the name/location.

Some pdf files won't display directly in-browser from a web link, due to the server where they are not telling browsers the correct file type for that. If you can give examples of ones which download, we can check to see if the same thing happens.

Jun 18, 2013 6:27 AM in response to andyBall_uk

OK your command S option is working. I had tried Ctlr click instead (like I used to do in previous OS versions, and this was not bringing any "save option in the pop-up menu).

For the first question, here is an example of a web adress linking to a pdf file that directly downloads on my hard drive.

www.mdpi.com/1424-8247/3/3/482/pdf

Preview pdf files in Safari before potentially save them

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.