Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.8.4 mail high cpu

I have problem on Mail app. It constantly use high CPU (70-100%). It happens constantly on both of my Mac (iMac late 2011 and MBA late 2010). Mail app will stop response after display some mails.

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.2), RAM 2 GB, HDD 128 GB

Posted on Jun 18, 2013 6:43 AM

29 replies

Jun 18, 2013 3:50 PM in response to surawuts

Please follow these directions to delete the Mail "sandbox" folder.

Back up all data.

Triple-click the line below to select it:

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Reveal

from the contextual menu.* A Finder window should open with a folder named "com.apple.mail" selected. If it does, move the selected foldernot just its contents — to the Desktop. Leave the Finder window open for now.

Quit and relaunch Mail, and test. If the problem is resolved, you may have to recreate some of your Mail settings. You can then delete the folder you moved and close the Finder window. If you still have the problem, quit Mail again and put the folder back where it was, overwriting the one that may have been created in its place. Post your results.

Caution: If you change any of the contents of the sandbox, but leave the folder itself in place, Mail may crash or not launch at all. Deleting the whole sandbox will cause it to be rebuilt automatically.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard (command-C). In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar, paste into the box that opens (command-V). You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Jun 18, 2013 7:12 PM in response to Linc Davis

After I did that, initially, when i reopen the mail, the CPU is back to normal. Until I scroll through several mails when mail intend to show the mail content on the right, it stops. The mail did not show the content, just the header on the right and CPU went up again.

In short, it symthom remains the same.

From other discussion history, they recommend to view under Console for clues. Hope this might helps.

Under Console, this is the error messages:

6/19/13 9:05:17.858 AM Mail[16701]: Unable to simultaneously satisfy constraints:

(

"<NSAutoresizingMaskLayoutConstraint:0x7fb7eaa9d8d0 h=-&- v=-&- V:[MessageWebView:0x7fb7eaa3c4d0]-(0)-| (Names: '|':_MailNSClipView:0x7fb7eb013e10 )>",

"<NSAutoresizingMaskLayoutConstraint:0x7fb7eaa9d930 h=-&- v=-&- V:|-(8.05306e+08)-[MessageWebView:0x7fb7eaa3c4d0] (Names: '|':_MailNSClipView:0x7fb7eb013e10 )>",

"<NSAutoresizingMaskLayoutConstraint:0x7fb7eaa9eac0 h=-&- v=-&- V:|-(0)-[_MailNSClipView:0x7fb7eb013e10] (Names: '|':MessageBodyScrollView:0x7fb7ec04be20 )>",

"<NSAutoresizingMaskLayoutConstraint:0x7fb7eaa9eb20 h=-&- v=-&- V:[_MailNSClipView:0x7fb7eb013e10]-(0)-| (Names: '|':MessageBodyScrollView:0x7fb7ec04be20 )>",

"<NSAutoresizingMaskLayoutConstraint:0x7fb7e14dcfd0 h=--& v=--& V:[MessageBodyScrollView:0x7fb7ec04be20(861)]>"

)

Will attempt to recover by breaking constraint

<NSAutoresizingMaskLayoutConstraint:0x7fb7eaa9d930 h=-&- v=-&- V:|-(8.05306e+08)-[MessageWebView:0x7fb7eaa3c4d0] (Names: '|':_MailNSClipView:0x7fb7eb013e10 )>

Set the NSUserDefault NSConstraintBasedLayoutVisualizeMutuallyExclusiveConstraints to YES to have -[NSWindow visualizeConstraints:] automatically called when this happens. And/or, break on objc_exception_throw to catch this in the debugger.

Jun 18, 2013 7:44 PM in response to surawuts

Quit Mail. Force quit if necessary.

Back up all data. That means you know you can restore the Mail database, no matter what happens.

Triple-click the text on the line below to select it:

~/Library/Mail/V2/MailData/Envelope Index

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard (command-C). In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder

from the menu bar. Paste into the box that opens (command-V), then press return.

A Finder window will open with a file selected. Move the selected file to the Desktop, leaving the window open. Other files in the folder may have names that begin with "Envelope Index". Move those files, if any, to the Trash.

Log out and log back in. Relaunch Mail. It should prompt you to re-import your messages. You may get a warning that the index is corrupt and that Mail has to quit. Click OK.

Test. If Mail now works as expected, you can delete the file you moved to the Desktop. Otherwise, post your results.

Jun 19, 2013 7:15 AM in response to surawuts

Back up all data.

Select all your mailboxes, and then select

Mailbox ▹ Export Mailbox...

from the Mail menu bar. Export the mailboxes to the Desktop folder.

Make a note of the settings for all your Mail accounts – everything you'd need to reconstruct the settings from scratch.

Quit Mail. Then select

 ▹ Force Quit...

from the menu bar. A small window will open with a list of running applications. Mail may appear in that list, even though you quit it. If so, select it and press return. Close the window.

In the Finder, hold down the option key and select

Go ▹ Library

from the menu bar. Move the following items from the folder that opens to the Trash (some may not exist):

• Caches/com.apple.mail
  • Saved Application State/com.apple.mail.savedState

Leave the Finder window open for now.

Relaunch Mail and test. If the problem is solved, you’re done. Delete the exported mailboxes. Otherwise, quit Mail and move these items, if they exist, from the open Library folder to the Desktop:

• Application Support/AddressBook/MailRecents-v4.abcdmr
  • Containers/com.apple.mail
  • Mail
  • Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist
  • Preferences/com.apple.mail.searchhistory.plist

Note: you are not moving the Mail application. You’re moving a folder named “Mail.”

Relaunch Mail. It will behave as if you were setting it up for the first time. Go through the setup process with one of your accounts, using the information you noted earlier. Test. Same problem?

If there’s no improvement, quit Mail again and put back the items you moved to the Desktop, replacing any newer ones that may have been created in their place. You don’t need to replace the items you moved to the Trash.

If the issue is resolved, recreate the rest of your Mail settings, then import the mailboxes you exported:

File ▹ Import Mailbox...

After importing, test. If Mail is still working, delete the items on the Desktop and close the Finder window.

Aug 25, 2013 12:00 PM in response to surawuts

Just wondering if the folks having this issue migrated their Mail instance using the Windows to Mac Migration Assistant feature? I have this issue with one user and the only thing unique about the Mail instance is that it was migrated from Outlook 2010 to Mail.app using Apple's Windows to Mac Migration Feature.

Postbox (from Postbox.com) does not seem to have this issue and is a viable alternative until Apple gets this one fixed/

Oct 11, 2013 3:49 PM in response to Linc Davis

Linc - awesome, thanks! In my case, I quit Mail, went to Terminal, and used:

rm -f ~/Library/Mail/V2/MailData/Envelope\ Index

It took Mail about an hour to re-import everything, then it popped up about ten dialogs that the index is corrupt. I quit Mail, repeated the import (which this time took about 20 minutes), and all was well, The mailbox has weird unread counts and flagged counts, and I had thousands of drafts, but clicking on each mailbox returned everything to normal.

The previous behavior was that each time I clicked on a message, Mail.app would spike to about 250% and remain there long enough for the fans to come on, then dropped down to 20% and stayed there.

Now it still spikes to about 100% when I click on any message, but it's very brief (< 2 seconds), and the fans don't even bother turning on. It then returns to < 1% CPU. Overall CPU usage is waaaaay down.

Great tip - thanks!

Oct 16, 2013 12:05 AM in response to surawuts

Hello, folks,

I should say that I have the same problem. And I can add some details to it. While my cpu flies high above 100% I open the Mail "Activity" window (command + alt + 0) and it shows that Mail is receiving some message. If I wait long enough (10-20 minutes) the message is received. The message has two ms word files about 10 mb alltogether. When the message is finally received it is shown in a corrupted base64 way like this...

------=_NextPart_001_01CC_01CEC9C8.251701B0

Content-Type: text/plain;

charset="koi8-r"

Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

8NLJ18XUINfTxc0sDQoNCiANCg0K6M/e1SDTyc7I0s/OydrJ0s/XwdTY09Eg088g19PFzckg0M8g

0M/Xz8TVIM/T1MHX28nI09EgxM/ExczPyyDQzyDEydrBys7VLg0K6czY0Swg4s/SydMsINDP083P

1NLJ1MUsINDP1sHM1crT1MEsINPQydPPyyDOydbFIMkgxMHK1MUg2s7B1NgsIMXTzMkg1yDOxc0N

Cs7FIMjXwdTBxdQg3sXHzyDC2SDUzyDOySDC2czPOg0KDQogDQoNCjEuICAgIOzPx8/UydANCg0K

Mi4gICAg4cTB0NTJ187P09TYIMTJ2sHKzsENCg0KYS4gICAg79TSydPP18HU2CDMwMLVwCDT1NLB

zsnD1SDTIM3FzsAsINDF0sXNxd3Fzs7ZzSDOwdfF0sg6INDP08zFDQrPwtPV1sTFzsnRINMg4s/S

ydPPzSDN2SDSxdvJzMksIN7UzyDc1M8gwtXExdQgzsHJws/MxcUgPMLF2sLPzMXazsXOztnKPiDT

zw0K19PFyCDUz97FyyDa0sXOydEg18HSycHO1CDBxMHQ1MHDyckgyc7UxdLGxcrTwSDQz8QgzcHM

xc7Yy8/FINLB2tLF28XOycUNCtzL0sHOwS4g7sHQz83OwCwg0MXS18/Owd7BzNjOzyDQ0sXE0M/M

I can say that some time ago I've noticed couple of times that some of messages with attachments where shown in this corrupted way, however they where much less than 10mb and that didn't cause high cpu load.

I also should add that for a couple of months Mail misses some of incomming messages. I'm using our local email service mail.tut.by. A couple years ago tut.by outsourced it's mail service to gmail.com. So after I pass the authentification on mail.tut.by I'm being redirected to gmail server. For a year and a half my Mail was working smoothly with that account, however a couple of months ago Mail began miss some messages. Like I see in my gmail web interface 10 unread messages and Mail shows me 4. Some messages Mail receives in a day or two after they are shown in web-interface and some of them never does.

And the final detail I should add is that I have one more real gmail account and it's web-interface is different. I mean that tut.by is served with slightly outdated version of gmail without those fancy tabs like "Unsorted, Social Networks, Promo"

I've already tried to rebuild index, to delete tut.by mail account form Mail, recreate it and reimport all messages from server. Nothing changes Mail misses messages and now it flies high above 100% of cpu load all the time it works so my latest Macbook Pro is 99 Celcium hot.

Nov 1, 2013 2:42 PM in response to ChaykaBorya

Hello all,

I can confirm all that ChaykaBory wrote here!

I have a MacBook Air v10.8.5, 1.7Ghz i7 which I bought just 1 month ago.

Since about a week I noticed that my fans turn on like crazy and CPU runs at 200%. By checking the System logs I routed it to Mail. I also get the corrupt email messages, they appear randomly. Once the fans start running, the only way to kill Mail.app is to go to the Activity Monitor and Force Quit Mail from there. As soon as this is done, the CPU and fans go back to normal mode.

Is Apple finding a solution to this? Or do I have uninstall Mail and start using another email application?

Any advice?

10.8.4 mail high cpu

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.