Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recommended method to prevent Windows from modifying or accessing OS X hard drive content?

I'm concerned about Windows malware and accidental corruption of OS X partiions when running Windows with Boot Camp and would like to prevent Windows 8 from unaurthorized access to OS X hard drive partitions and content. Is this best done by setting permissions in Windows 8 and if so, will Windows permissions have any effect on drive and content access under OS X? Are there other recommendations for controlling Windows access to OS X content?

thanks

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jun 18, 2013 7:14 AM

6 replies

Jun 18, 2013 11:06 AM in response to Rudegar

thanks, although I would swear I successfully wrote a file to a OS X folder from windows yesterday. Guessing I wasn't paying attention and must have actually written to a flashdrive I had plugged in at the time since it didn't work today when I tried, and the drives behaved as you described; readonly. Any suggestion on how to prevent Windows from reading or viewing OS X content?

Jun 18, 2013 4:52 PM in response to WhatIsReality

You could do as Csound1 suggests, but then I believe that Windows itself could still access the drive (in Read Only mode). You could always un-install the HFS+ driver from Boot Camp which gives Windows the Read Only access to the drive int eh first place, then Windows would only see it as an unrecognized drive (and try to get you to format it).

Recommended method to prevent Windows from modifying or accessing OS X hard drive content?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.