Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you upgrade from Windows 7 to 8 using Bootcamp

I have a MacBook Pro (Late 2011) 13-inch running Windows 7 Professional under Bootcamp and Parallels (usually under Bootcamp because Parallels simply does not work!).

I would like to upgrade to Windows 8, but am worried about functionality and compatibility of the hardward on the Mac. It took me months to get the Mac working properly under Windows 7, and I want to know if I could do a simply "smart" upgrade to Windows 8. Is a clean istall required?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Waleed

MacBook Pro, Windows 7

Posted on Jun 18, 2013 9:20 AM

1 reply

Jun 18, 2013 11:53 AM in response to Waleed Q.

It's possible to upgrade to Windows 8. Your MacBook Pro is compatible with Windows 8, so the only thing you need to be sure about is that you get a 64-bit Windows version. Then, download and install the Boot Camp 5 drivers in Windows from the Apple website > http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1638 It's important to install them before upgrading.

Finally, insert the Windows disc and upgrade. Make a backup of the data before upgrading in case it doesn't work correctly

Can you upgrade from Windows 7 to 8 using Bootcamp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.