Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can not re-activate iPhone 3GS yourself???

Is there a way that I can re-activate my iPhone 3GS without having to pay the tech support? Apromixate fee is $49+ for the first 30 days...

I forgot my lock in password, so I had to resetted by using apple online support using my itune to restored... after I've done it, I cannot re-activate my phone and I have pay the technical support fee in order to get this phone going again.

I thought this is ridiculous because first of all by resetting your password by phone they asked to apy almost $20, secondly on online password/restored setting is free but didn't say anything gonna happen after done it. Which now I got stuck, can not do anything with the phone, unless have to pay almost $50 to get it fix.

I also have have an iPhone 5 and an iPad, now I'm doubting if I want to continue having apple products. 😟

iPhone 3GS

Posted on Jun 18, 2013 12:43 PM

7 replies

Jun 18, 2013 12:54 PM in response to apple_prob

I don't know why you had to pay for support; the instructions for restoring if you forget your passcode are in the support knowledge base (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1212), and a simple Google search would have revealed them. You chose to pay rather than to do the research yourself; don't blame Apple for that.

There is also no need to pay to reactivate a phone; just connect it to iTunes and Restore it. And if you have iOS 5 or higher all you need to do is to go to Settings/General/Reset - Erase all content and settings.

Nearly forgot; Apple also offers free online support, both in these forums and at http://expresslane.apple.com.

Jun 18, 2013 3:10 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

I guess my point is not clear...

I followed apple online support instruction, and restored using itunes, using this website http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1212 (which same as yours above)

I DID get my phone reset.

Now my problem is the phone is back on but can not activate ( I used my dsl wi-fi network), after running for about 5 mins it said can not activate your phone....

And I can not get it to the "main" iPhone screen.

My question to any that could help me re-activate without me have to pay about $50 for apple to do it, I would be very appreciated!!!

Thanks in advanced!

ps: I haven't paid any apple tech support yet. And I will not want to.

Jun 18, 2013 3:43 PM in response to apple_prob

An easier way to look at my problem now is

After a restore, the iOS device restarts.

On screen is

1. "Slide to set up". (slide, follow aong with the instructions..)

2. English (welcome) --. next

3. Country or Region: United State --> next

4.Wi-fi. Choose a Network... (my home dsl network) -->next

5. Activating your phone: It may take a few minutes to activate your iPhone.

(after about 3 minutes, it says:

Could Not Activate iPhone

Your iPhone could not be activated because the activation server is temporarity unavailable. Try connecting your iPhone to iTunes to activate it, or try again in a couple of minutes.

If this problem persists, contact Apple Support at apple.com/support

(It also has a "Back" and a "Try Again" icons on this screen)

It got stucked here.

Well, I waited and tried again, same thing... I also tried using itunes to activate, helpless. So that's when I called apple Tech Support. And they said because my warantee/tech services expired I have to pay to get it fix.

This is an old phone and doesn't have a provider now.

Last year I had it unlocked when I was out of country.

Thanks for reading!

Jun 18, 2013 3:43 PM in response to apple_prob

Paying Apple will not get your phone activated. It can only be activated from the phone. You can take it to an Apple store where they will activate it for you and it won't cost anything. If you get a message about the activation servers being unavailable this means one of the following:

1. Your antivirus or firewall is blocking access to gs.apple.com.

2. Your phone is jailbroken.

3. Your computer has been used at some time in the past to jaibreak some iOS device (not necessarily the phone with the problem), and its network database was corrupted by the hacking software that was used.

4. Apple's activation servers are down (very rare, and never for more than an hour or so).

For 1. try disabling your antivirus.

For 2. & 3. you need to go somewhere other than an apple forum for help. Although you can try deleting lines containing gs.apple.com from your "hosts" file on your computer.

Jun 18, 2013 3:47 PM in response to apple_prob

When you had it unlocked when you were out of the country did you request the unlock from the original carrier, or did you use a local unlocking service? If it was a local they hacked the phone to unlock it. That corrupts the modem firmware, and the phone can never be activated legitimately again.

Also, it must have a SIM card in the phone to activate. It does not have to be a currently active SIM, but it must be a SIM that was active at some time in the past.

Can not re-activate iPhone 3GS yourself???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.